OSM map crashes on Garmin Nüvi 3490LMT

I have a problem with maps from South America, Chile/Argentina in particular. After using mkgmap, the resulting map crashes on my new Garmin Nüvi 3490LMT: the screen goes black and I have to restart the Nüvi. I thought, maybe it’s my map style? I tried Lambertus’s ready made maps, but the same happens. In Basecamp and Mapsource, the maps look fine, and on my good old Garmin iQue 3600 no problem either.

What’s happening here? Is there some OSM data issue the Nüvi can’t accept?

Thanks.

First time I hear about this model, try the map we compile, you can get it from http://www.mediafire.com/?pge80bdyxw8ox
If you read Spanish http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Argentina#Descargando_el_mapa_a_tu_GPS

I had a look to your device on the internet, it uses Palm as OS, perhaps this is the problem. There is a general forum about Garmin they may know more about it

Thanks for writting in our forum and let us know the results after trying

Muchas gracias. He bajado su mapa que funciona bien en mi Nüvi 3490LMT. Me sorprende que otros mapas de OSM ocasionan un mal funcionamiento en my Nüvi.
En cual plazo actualizan ustedes este mapa?
El modelo Garmin iQue 3600 es mi viejo aparato que no tiene problemas con ningun mapa OSM. Es mi nuevo Nüvi que tiene los problemas.

Disculpa mis errores en castellano, soy un holandes.

Si yo escribiese holandes como vos castellano, estaría felíz de la vida jajajaja
Tuviste apenas un solo error, se dice “En que plazo…”

Normalmente trato de actualizarlo 1 vez por mes, en nuestra página dice como generar tu propio mapa. Tendría q actualizar el batch file, q con gusto te lo puedo pasar

Bueno, bien venido a AR y si andas por BA por ahí nos tomamos una cerveza (bier)

Gracias. Soy casado con una chilena, vivimos en Holanda y cada dos años visitamos a la familia en Viña del Mar y Santiago, como hace un mes. Por lo menos en Chile se tiene pisco sour…jajajaja.
Conozco AR y BA bastante bien, pero la última vez que visitamos fue hace 15 años.

En cuanto a hacer los mapas su mismo, conozco el método usando Mkgmap. Pero por algún motivo mi mapa de Chile causa problemas en mi Nüvi. Quizá podrías enviarme tus archivos lines, polygons etc?

Saludos desde Holanda invernal.

Acá van las instrucciones
Crea tu propio mapa

Estimado Beerforfree,
Leí lo de tu mapa y lo descargué, y también el Mapsource, pero no sé en qué carpeta del Garmin debo colocarlo. El equipo es nuevo y comprado en USA.
Me podrás ayudar a configurarlo para Argentina?
Saludos y muchas gracias!

busca el archivo q tenes q remplazar, la carpeta en los Nüvi se llama Garmin
slds

busca el archivo q tenes q remplazar, la carpeta en los Nüvi se llama Garmin
slds

Hi,

I have the same problem with a garmin nuvi 2595lmt.
When I use a osm map from openstreetmap (France), the gps crashes when i make a navigation (only)
I can see the map without navigation.

Any idea ?

I tryed to switch off a lot of options to avoid the pb but i haven’t any solution yet.

Thanks

Try to use one of our maps and see what happens, st least you will unearth if it’s a map issue or not

I downloaded the file 20120401gmapsupp.img and put it into the Map directory of the garmin.
And after starting it, i can’t see the map, it is not in the list.
Maybe because my garmin is dedicated to Europe only.

But after trying a lot of maps, i can say that :

• openstreetmap files : don’t work with navigation
  • openmtbmap files : don’t work with navigation
  • openfietsmap files : work with navigation (but maps are not very beautiful)

It’s a pb of map.
I need free maps from France especially for walking on mountains…
Where can I find them ?

I can ever launch a navigation with one map and switch to another one after, but not very useful.

Thank you i you can help

you have to rename the file from 20120401gmapsupp.img to gmapsupp.img after that copy it to your Garmin device replacing the current gmapsupp.img file. There is a special Garmin forum, maybe there you can find some hints on your model
you won´t find any Europe maps in southamercian forums