OSM Etiquette Guidelines

I was looking for moderator guidelines for the forum users group, and I am surprised to see the Etiquette guidelines only mention the mailing list. Or am I missing anything?

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Etiquette/Process_for_Moderation

What will be the implications of the discourse migration for the countries’ users group moderation process?

Each user subforum migrated here will need to define a group of moderators to ensure the defined guidelines are followed. The moderation process you linked is still not approved by the board AFAIK, once it’s approved I guess it should be evaluated/adapted to these forums needs.

1 Like

I just checked it and came to the conclusion that the process described is inadequate for the forum as most of its measures are strictly for the mailing list, while ignoring additional possbilites you have in a forum. E.g. on a ML there is no way to make a mail unsent once it is out, but in a forum you can edit out offensive content.

Also, some of the rules would be overly optimisitic for the forum with its multitude of subforums. Like “arrange a meeting of the moderator team and achieve consens before acting”. Most of the time, you have only one moderator, or you’re lucky if you get a quick response by one out of three existing moderators. I have seen reports in the forum which still lacked any response after a week. And in the worst cases, we have a legal liability to remove illegal content fast. I admit I only had to remove stuff relevant for the attourney once so far - but once would be enough for OSM.

So it definitely would have to be reworked.

1 Like

You’re not missing anything. The moderation subcommittee was looking at the mailing list, and they wrote these documents & procedures.

I’m not 100% sure of the copyright status of the EGs, however since it was uploaded to the OSM wiki, the documents are CC-BY-SA 2.0, i.e. creative commonsly licenced, so anyone may use & copy the document (incl make modifications), without needing permission. So anyone can use “adopt” the EG for their own site, community, or group (like this) if you want

13 posts were split to a new topic: How moderation should work (and flags)?