OSM and Galileo Offline Maps

Hello, I recently downloaded Galileo for IOS and I paid for an extra feature which lets me add maps that I have created outside of the Galileo app and upload them through itunes. Galileo is an app which you recommend on your wiki and one which I have been extremely satisfied with, however, the paid feature, the ability to load maps from itunes, has me baffled. It says to use MOBAC to create the maps and then to upload them through itunes but you have blocked the use of MOBAC on your servers. What I cant understand is why you would recommend an app which goes hand in hand with a tool that you have blocked from using your resources. Most of the time, I am not on any kind of network which lets me use the maps in an on demand way and that is why I went with Galileo OFFLINE maps.

Can I donate and somehow use the data in an offline fashion without rustling any feathers? I would happily pay a small “per tile” fee (A dollar for every 2000 tiles would translate to around 5 cents per MB, and would end up costing 250 bucks for a 500,000 tile atlas) to be able to use atlas creation software without being a burden on the servers or the volunteers who curate them. Alternately, can I set up my own server with all of the map data and use atlas creation software pointed at my localhost to create my maps, thus eliminating the load on public servers? Can I pay per gigabyte? Please help! I need the maps offline and collecting them within galileo will take me a ton of time and in the end, use the same amount of downstream bandwidth as MOBAC, it will just be spread out over the week that it takes me to cache the map data through Galileo directly.

Please note that I am in no way trying to get these maps for free. I know data costs big money, im just looking for a way to efficiently use your maps offline, and will happily contribute to your awesome organization to do so. Keep up the great work!

Peace,
Brian

P.S. I made an account with the purpose of contributing to the mapping effort, not just to ask this question.

Maybe see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tile_usage_policy about alternative source of tiles.

Thank you so much! I’ve owned Galileo for android for some time but had never imported an offline map. I love OSM because it has more relevant technical data like power lines and railroad tracks than any other map source I have found. It is MOST impressive. I’m just now digging into OSM on a “more than consumption” level, so bear with my noob questions… It seems like I could most certainly just roll my own server with packages available for linux. I already run a linux box for audio production and it sits dormant when I’m not working. I think I’ll try and get a server up and running. Then I can create atlases for the areas I need, and create atlases for other contributors of OSM in a variety of formats. It might take a while, but i’ve already installed some of the packages and other than successfully downloading a planet file over my existing network, it seems fairly straightforward to get a server up and running…

Thanks again for the insight.

Peace,
Brian

I realize that this is an old thread, but I recently started using Galileo and had difficulty creating offline maps as well. Maperitive by Igor Brejc is a free program that creates Galileo compatible mbtiles and is quite easy to use and will combine OSM data with many online tile sources, as well as create tiles from Nasa data which can then be combined with OSM data.Highly recommended for Galileo users.