OpenStreetMap Mexico Comunidad

Category name

OpenStreetMap Mexico Community

Is this a top-level category or a subcategory?

Subcategory

Description of its purpose and which open mapping groups it will serve

To allow a space of discussion for the OSM community of Mexico on topics that unlike the chats, require to remain visible and allow decision making, and also for people who do not wish to join the chats and prefer an orderly space and permanent visualization. @rimugu has already create a topic but I understand that the topics must be placed under categories (I hope I’m right).

Why is this new category needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

The Mexican OSM community is not necessarily contained in the LATAM community; the members are not the same, and a national space specialized in local issues appeared necessary.

Is this a new space or does it already exist on other platforms? Where?

It would replace the Mexico category in the old forum platform.

Current volume of messages on the former platforms, if any (per week/per month)

In average 1 conversation per month that can lead to passionate conversations (several messages a day during the momentum of a conversation).

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

Invite the members to join this new platform (some of them are already there). Chat around the way to save the history.

(Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines

OSM Etiquette Guidelines

List the usernames of the category moderators

Ideally at least 3 users who can commit to moderate the category and enforce the guidelines.
    Any context about these 3 users and why they would be a good moderators.
    An individual reply to this topic from these 3 users supporting the request and committing to their moderator duties is needed.

@JeSe-MX has been moderator in the old forum for many years, trying to do an imparcial and continuous job in that role.
@CENTSOARER has been active for a long time in the old forum and might be interested in investing this new space.
I can also contribute to the collaborative effort.
If anybody wouldn’t like to participate as moderator, could they propose somebody else?

1 Like

Thanks for the request.

While we wait for the proposed moderators to comment here they are OK with the role, it would be great if you could edit the initial message adding a brief description on why each moderator was proposed. This is asked as part of the process to provide transparency and allow a community conversation to happen here.

Thanks again!

Hello,

I would like to share here that a criteria for selecting new moderators has been recently approved:

There are just three changes that affect the current request:

• Please review that all proposed mods fulfill the basic requirements to be a moderator.
  • At least 5 days of community discussion need to take place once all the proposed mods have commented accepting here.
  • A poll voting will be created after this discussion to allow the community to validate the final list.

Please, let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks!

If the community wants this category and they back me, knowing I have no previous experience moderating any kind of virtual community, but some experience discussing on internet boards, I am kinda-available and willing to accept the Moderator status. As with others, bear in mind that because of other activities apart from OSM, absences of several days will occur.

So, I hope others may come and accept this role.

My name is Sebastian Morales, and Jese-mx on Internet. I have been a contributor to OSM since 2013 (according to my osm profile), and months later I became a moderator of the Mexico sub-forum in the old OSM forum.

I tried to be neutral in my opinions. I tried to provide data and relevant information in the forum to help new mappers in Mexico, and have an order in the forum, encouraging respect and tolerance (I couldn’t always do it).

My main reason for being an active osm member was that I like to have or use a good map, where every detail can make a big difference between using this or another map.
In addition to being able to use for myself, I am glad that other people can help you with all the possible details on the map.
I just like to use a good map, and even better if my contributions help others like me.

All my contributions have been “in situ” data; I live in the city of Querétaro, and I know most of it, because for work or recreation, I travel throughout the city, and to neighboring cities.

Unfortunately, my personal life and occupations have limited my free time. I am not someone who has knowledge or studies in the Geo subject, I am a simple citizen who only studied until high school.
I would most like to be a professional in any branch, and have a lot of time to spare and make the Geo a hobby for me. But since I’m not, I spend most of my time working and doing overtime.

For this reason, I appreciate the proposal to be a moderator, I will do my best, and I gladly accept the role.

1 Like

@mapeadora perdón, por aclarar, los 3 moderadores propuestos sois @CENTSOARER @JeSe-MX y tú ¿no?

De ser así ya han pasado 5 días desde que el tercer moderador comentara aceptando y podríamos publicar la votación, ¿todo en orden?

1 Like

Invité en el canal de Telegram a más personas, voy a reiterar esta invitación, y si nadie más se presenta al final de esta semana, podría quedar así.

1 Like

Creo que no hace falta que pospongáis más, con 3 moderadores es suficiente por ahora, siempre podéis añadir nuevos más adelante.

Han pasado más de cinco días de discusión de la comunidad, ahora se abre una encuesta de votación durante otros cinco días (más fin de semana) para validar la lista final.

La lista será validada si obtiene al menos un 80% de votos afirmativos. Tened en cuenta que los votos (quién ha votado qué) son públicos para ayudar a identificar cualquier abuso.

¡Gracias!

¿Apruebas que @mapeadora @JeSe-MX y @CENTSOARER sean moderadores de la categoría “México”?
  • Sí, apruebo
  • No, no apruebo (por favor comenta debajo)

0 voters

1 Like

También se ofrece @luisrobledomx1 para apoyar en el grupo de moderadores.
Luis es muy activo en la parte norte del país, mapeando Nuevo León y alrededores, y es activo en los canales de México y Latam aportando constructivamente a actividades comunitarias.
Sé que el grupo es poco activo además de nuevo, y quizás no obtengamos votación. En tal caso qué procede @nukeador ?

La votación es un paso necesario para crear la categoría, como forma de validar que la comunidad quiere y aprueba este espacio y moderadores. Si nadie vota entendemos que la comunidad no tiene interés en un espacio en los foros.

Mi recomendación es que se comparta la votación entre los canales de la comunidad actual, quedan aún 3 días para votar.

Una vez se haya creado, podemos hacer el proceso para añadir moderadores adicionales.

Yo he estado en contacto con @luisrobledomx1 sólo en alguna interacción de Notas OSM, pero su actividad en OSM es ejemplar. Me encanta la idea de que sea también moderador de la categoría México.

1 Like

La categoría #communities:mx ya está creada y los moderadores aprobados han sido añadidos.

Por favor, asegúrense de solicitar una actualización del Índice de Comunidades OSM para incluir este nuevo canal para su comunidad y pedir la baja de cualquiera antiguo o en desuso.

¡Gracias!

1 Like