OpenStreetMap meta data collector

I get often a “not responding” warning from android but it seems to still record tracks if I ignore the warning.
Is that known ?

If you have a lot of points loaded it’s to do with the code that handles the drawing of them over the top of the map, I’ve never figured out how to do this in an efficient manner.

How I think this should be done is an in memory canvas that get updated as each new point is added, and then the canvas layer is lined up with the map layer, the only problem is I haven’t figured out how to do this.

Alternatively bring up the menu and delete track points, it only effects the displayed points, not the recorded points.

Could you please add support for external Bluetooth GPS receivers?

I would like to map trails in parks and wooded areas while mountain biking or hiking. Holding the phone in my hand to provide good reception (signal is weak due to leaves/trees overhead) is not very practical while mounting an external GPS unit on a bike or even a baseball cap is.

An added bonus of this setup is that it allows for the phone to remain in a more protected place while only the GPS (relatively inexpensive) is exposed to the environment.

Keep up the good work.

K.

This app isn’t supposed to be a generalised GPX data collector, there is probably apps that already do that.

Alternatively for $50 you can get a solar power GPS data logger…

http://cgi.ebay.com/iBlue-757-GPS-Bluetooth-Receiver-Data-Logger-Solar_W0QQitemZ160339214691QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGPS_Devices?hash=item2554f64163&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A15%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I bought one of these the other day, and unfortunately it only has 1MByte of capacity, or 47,300 waypoints for just time, lat and lon, less if you want pdop or hdop and elevation, about 37,000, it does have a very sensitive antenna/chipset, not a lot better than the HTC Dream/G1, but enough to be seen in JOSM.

Well if anyone knows of an app that supports external Bluetooth GPS on the Android platform, please let me know.

I’m looking for Android+OSM+external GPS. Dorid Collector has two out of three :wink:

It’s a nice app.

I am concerned about the use of Google maps however. It’s a serious issue that’s come up with other applications and OSM.

Mainly this is a legal worry. The app in particular is about collecting meta data for OSM.

By using Google Maps and their data (i.e. by Teleatlas, Navteq), which have street names and POIs on them, we could be seen as copying these data, especially when entering names of roads, etc.

The good thing is that the location is set by our GPS, and so they cannot claim that the location of the data is derived from their maps, but they would have a stronger argument to say that we are copying the attribute information. (Bear in mind that this is exactly the aim of this app, collecting attribute information). Thus, we really should remove Google Maps from this application. Replace it with Google Satellite, however - or just default to OSM.

Also the argument about using Google Maps to see where coverage is missing has also been debated as being an edge case and one where other web applications in the past have been warned off - i.e. OSM data that is only able to be created because Google Maps was used… it’s an edge case, but we do, in OpenStreetMap, prefer to be paranoid about geodata, and rightly so, we don’t need Google Maps, we make our own maps! (Their satellite view could be used - we have to use our skill and judgement only. rather than relying on another map.)

Warning over.

(What I’d like to see in an OSM mapping app on my phone (maybe not this one - I really like how people can add nice POI’s) is one where I can operate it with one hand, quickly, whilst cycling. To be able to add an incrementing waypoint, audio marker or photo at a touch of one button, instead of clicking through menus, and taking my eyes of the road, if that makes sense - just a nice easy logger, really. )

The intent when creating this app wasn’t to copy google map data in any way shape or form, and I personally don’t see it as any different then drawing on top of a paper map, after all you could always copy the data from a paper map, maybe this needs to be made clear in the initial terms and conditions type screen, and if they don’t agree to use it in this manner only the sat image can be shown or something to that effect.

I’ve tried to make the app really easily to add POIs, although there is only so much that can be done and still have the map useful, although I’d certainly be willing to listen to any suggestions about this.

I’don’t have any suggestion yet, but thank you again!

I have used this app for 2 weeks now. I mainly worked with audio comments. I like the app, but I discovered a few little annoying issues:

• It’s not possible to configure how many times per second a gps waypoint is stored. The default (1 second?) is quite big. I’d like to have 0,5 seconds or even 0,25 seconds. This is required, because in the audio notes, there are marks like “NOW, there’s a bus station on the left”. The “NOW” rarely matches a 1 second interval. Thus it’s quite unprecise.
  • Working with long audio comments is unhandy. You have to synchronise it with the gpx track and you have to hear the complete record. What about introducing another technique? This one: http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/AudioMapping/SeparateClips - Connection the gpx waypoints with audio files would be great. It would require some action to start and stop a record. What about using the headset microphone and the headset play key? This seperate clip method would save 50% of my time and it would be much more accurate.

Best regards.

Yes I would too, but I don’t know of any phones that support better than 1Hz updates. Take it up with phone/GPS chipset companies.

To be honest I kinda of gave up on audio comments, I was finding it hard enough to keep track of a bunch of stuff in my head to do with mapping out streets, also focusing on the road/other drivers/not having an accident

The current app lets you pause recording, but starting a new file might be better.

If it acts like all other key events on the phone it should be trappable, but I’ll have to play with it to find out.

Is it somehow possible to cache upstream OSM data? Data connection is not always avaible :(.

Since I map a lot of stuff in the mountains, the tag ele would be very usefull.

The OSM map data is cached to the SD card, you just need to disable the follow me option/icon and view the map area in question.

The GPX file records this, although GPS elevation information isn’t all that accurate either and can get fairly good elevation information from NASA these days for free.

Yes, but i could record elevation tags like POI’s since they are indicates in some locations.

Are you wanting to enter peaks?

eg

natural=peak
ele=x
name=*

I like the application, but it’s quite difficult to use when driving.
I think a better user interface like OSMtracker will be better with big icons.
screenshots here : http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSMtracker#Screenshots

To be honest I found a mobile phone too limiting in general and bought a netbook to drive about with.

Hi,

Thanks for this application, I used it to add some streets around my step mother’s home, very useful. But I still have an issue with the voice recorder. It doesn’t seems to works : I clicked record audio, and spent a day saying in which street I was, but when I went home, no audio file was created. Have I done it wrong ?

By the way, you should really consider hosting your project on a dedicated place. Someone on this thread suggested you to use google code, and iirc you said you didn’t want to be too tied with google, which is understandable. Others hosting services exists that don’t belongs to google. Have a look at launchpad or sourceforge.