OpenStreetBrowser: New category: Footways

Are you referring just to the phrase “pedestrian footways” in the title of this post? That’s the only place I have seen it used (along with the corresponding blog post). Openbrowser itself simply refers to the category as “footways”. Or are you seeing “pedestrian footways” used elsewhere?

Yea, there was some strange way to represent footways so i got confused about what was exactly being discussed.

Yes, I’m sorry. I don’t know, what I was thinking. I think, I can’t change the title (of the post) though …

Do you mean change “New category: Pedestrian footways” at the top of this thread to “New category: Footways”? If so, I think I (or anyone who’s been around here a while) may be able to do that. Let me know if that’s what you mean.

1 Like

You voted my suggestion up so I’ve changed it - hope that’s OK!

Thanks a lot!

I have a question, where I’m not sure how to proceed, and I didn’t find a statement in the Wiki concerning this:

If a street has a Sidewalk (e.g. sidewalk=left or sidewalk:left=yes) but no sidewalk:left:surface tag, should I use the value of the surface tag as fallback? Or should I report it as missing? The same goes for tactile_paving, smoothness and access (and maybe more).

The full fallback cascade would be:
sidewalk:left:surfacesidewalk:both:surfacesidewalk:surfacesurface.

No. In my city, sidewalks almost never have the same surface as the carriageway.

3 Likes

In my city, sidewalks always have the same surface as the carriageway, namely asfalt (999 of 1000). Still, I’d say, taken this for granted all over the world would go too far.

In such case I would assume sidewalk to be also paved but would not assume to have exactly the same surface as road. I would assume that it is publicly accessible.
(if surface in paved_values -> sidewalk_surface=paved)

I would not assume anything about tactile_paving.

For smoothness I would assume that it is not-terrible (and for example route wheelchair by default there)

1 Like

Are you sure that is not a shoulder. Shoulders are purely a strip of roadway designated for foot traffic separated with painted line.

Sidewalks are physically separated with a physical barrier. Sidewalks are rarely covered with asphalt because it is difficult to sufficient compact such a narrow strip of asphalt. Resulting in surface will quickly degrade on a hot day or on a wet one due to run off. It is even harder to remove and repair small sections without heavy machinery.

In Nederland sidewalk surface is nearly always clearly different from the carriageway. The favorite pavement of sidewalks is a coarse concrete tile of 30x30x5cm which is therefore called “stoeptegel” (sidewalk tile).

Yes, usually being raised (i.e. unlowered kerb) in Croatia.

Sidewalks are rarely covered with asphalt because it is difficult to sufficient compact such a narrow strip of asphalt.

That seems to be location specific. In Croatia, majority of sidewalks are covered by asphalt, followed by distant second paving_stones and a few in concrete.

Resulting in surface will quickly degrade on a hot day or on a wet one due to run off. It is even harder to remove and repair small sections without heavy machinery.

They seem to “handle” that problem by choosing not to repair them, ever :face_holding_back_tears:

Sounds like some of the unpaved roads here in Michigan.