Odd edits in Italy

Yes, and I’m assuming that the local community will do this. If anyone needs any help, email the DWG.

That said, I’m somewhat puzzled why someone would set up and then delete an account just to change the capitalisation of a name. I presume there’s a story behind it.

1 Like

I reverted chagesets #134456754 and #134456407.

2 Likes

A “new user” has appeared and changed one of the names again.

As the Germans say’ “Im Dreieck (herum) springen”.

the tag church=parish is absent.

Not looked at what the diocese has listed it as.

Re the yannis323 edits, see comments here.

There last edit was a revert, which is not a good sign.

To add more context, this mapper (as HeadAsylum433) has made similar edits in Austria and the US. Notably, they changed the five boroughs of New York City from place=suburb to place=town, which swiftly garnered criticism from the local community. Consequently, this mapper was invited to discuss further on the OSM-US Slack, and once they joined, they initiated a straw poll on the #local-nyc channel about changing the place=* tag on New York boroughs. The poll revealed varying opinions, but none of them agreed with place=town. A few minutes later, the Slack account was mysteriously deactivated and so was HeadAsylum433’s OSM account.

1 Like

To set the record straight
I created the account HeadAsylum432 some 20 days ago and I made some changes, notably the New York City boroughs one, explaining it in detail as it can be seen on the changeset comment and discussion (just to clarify I didn’t barge in without being open to discussion and simply changed the nodes tag to my liking without any comment).
Then I received many comments from local mappers telling me they didn’t agree and to come join the OSM-US Slack community, which I did shortly after, using the name “John”.
As it was said, I created a poll (with the intention of it being simply a test of waters) that asked what was the preferred way of tagging the New York City boroughs nodes.
Some hours and further discussion after, I mistakenly used another account to post a comment to the changeset discussion, so, since it was clear the discussion wasn’t going anywhere, I deleted the HeadAsylum432 account and also the Slack account, since I don’t use Slack and I didn’t need it to be around.
The aftermath is that after seeing my changesets reverted for the only reason of being of a deleted account and called vandalism, I tried to restore them with other accounts because I didn’t like my work being wasted.

I only ask of you to not call my changesets vandalism, since this is an obvious misrepresentation, and to not revert my changesets in batch without showing respect from someone who doesn’t get paid to contribute to OpenStreetMap. If you think I made negative contributions you are free to delete them, but at least spend a fraction of the time I spent to make them.

Hello @yannis323 ,

Thanks for posting here. What was the reasoning behind the name changes to e.g. https://osm.mapki.com/history/way/208731874 in Italy?

Best Regards,

Andy

Hi @yannis323,

thanks for joining the forum and the discussion.

Maybe this isn’t clear to you, but changes you upload are live immediately. Making big changes without upfront discussion is barging in. If you want to change the name of a capital city (your change to Vatican City) you have to assume they have a long history and you must discuss it with the local community before actually applying the change. If there’s no consensus, don’t make the change.

Using different accounts or aliases is a tactic often used by vandals and people hiding malicious edits, so it raises red flags. Why did you need several accounts?

Guess what, most of us don’t get paid. Please value our time as well.

3 Likes

Is leonardashley87330 another one of your accounts? The discussion here makes it look like both accounts are yours: Changeset: 134806147 | OpenStreetMap.

1 Like

My conclusion was right:

And I’ll gladly repeat the formal and technical issues, with most (if not all) edits in Switzerland:

1. The changeset comment, doesn’t fit the changeset content at all. If the comment field is too short, you’re changeset is too large – simple as that.
  2. The changeset lacks (valid) sources. There’s no way, the size, structure, elevation or population of a village or suburb are retrieved from Orthophotos (aerial imagery). Same goes for all the names, that should either be determined OTG or through OGD with a compatible license. Also road categories are determinded OTG according to the actual signage, and not by gut feeling.
  3. Wikipedia is not a valid, compatible source, as @habi told you in Changeset 134806147. By using an incompatible source, you didn’t just waste your time, but basically wasted all our time. Instead of copying from Wikipedia something that might be incorrect or already outdated, I’d suggest you start reading the OSM-Wiki.
  4. It’s not the problem of the Swiss community, that you don’t like, how we handle bilingual names. How the bilingual cities like Biel/Bienne and Fribourg/Freiburg handle bilingualism is for them to determine. Same goes for all other regions dealing with bilingualism including Graubünden, Misox, Valais and so on.

And to circle back to what @hfs said: if you waste your time, because you didn’t get acquainted with any of the rules, that’s on you. But you clearly don’t show any respect for other peoples’ time and work, instead you revert your incorrect changes back, just because you “don’t like [your] work being wasted”. Sorry, but that’s on you and no justification at all.

6 Likes

note that people reverting them are not paid to contribute to OpenStreetMap either

Can you stop creating and deleting series of accounts? This is not helpful in general, makes contacting user impossible so unclear edits cannot be explained and need to be reverted - even if in usual case it would be possible to explain what is going on.

Please use a single account so people can contact you (there are good reasons for separate accounts in rare cases, but they do not apply here).

The next step would be to stop deleting accounts and use a single one for all you edits.

Also, if some edits were reverted: please discuss it with others what is the preferred version and why, rather than trying to revert changes, each with a separate account.

EDIT 9 days later: given nonending cycle of throwaway accounts and refusal to communicate, it is clear that you are malicious vandal that should be reverted on sight. Please stop editing in OSM.

8 Likes

Just to keep people here up to speed, “@yannis323” has created some more accounts, included but not limited to GianlucaTrani85, leonardashley87330, francisdouglas88614. Most edits by the new ones are simple “revert to force my opinion on everyone else” and have themselves been blocked until they contact the DWG and reverted to the status quo ante.

Objects last edited by yannis323 include these. Some of those changes do look OK; some perhaps less so.

For example, this shop may be spelt slighly oddly, or it may not - I’ve no idea.

1 Like

The Pascal Neis page has labelled this person as ‘hit-and-run’', the pie chart cuts are of never seen before and created 41 lines of routing issues. 2 users blocked, no idea how, and 1 active block Training for something.

Saw a mapper last night tagging street long bridges in a desert town across nothing, two_way labelled roads taking the wrong side with a playground on the roundabout center island. Thats how this comes across too.

At this exact moment there are at least 4 active accounts of this same user. He collected 14 blocks. He is well know in Wikipedia as well where he collected 5 warnings and 2 blocks with the following motive: “Edit war, personal attacks, uncooperative attitude”.

It’s crazy the amount of time ONE single user can waste on a community/DWG. I think at other cases such as the Greece vandal: here

Time to revert, fix, look for fake accounts. It takes all the fun of the mapping out. I wonder if the current sistema is fitting the increasing number of users in OSM, or if we should re-think it (as someone suggest already in the past, as in here).

Seems to me that the current schema benefits this kind of users. Just create new accounts and keep editing as you want, at a certain point the other person will stop reporting you and that’s all.

7 Likes

On numerous occasions, during the Geminiani S mass deletion incidents, I was very tempted to interpret the extremely slow action by the moderation team as siding with the vandalism: that has the potential to severely damage trust in OSM.

Note that simple reverts can be relatively easily done by anyone. Especially with hit and run accounts as @yannis323 account spam they sadly simply needs to be reverted until they go away.

I expect that DWG gives priority to cases like “someone imported 10 000 000 buildings on incompatible license, without discussion”.

(not sure is there public view of at least statistics of DWG tickets, like ‘23 reports active’? also not sure is there some open call for people to join DWG or some activity in this field)

not sure is the thread where someone from DWG posted yesterday

is the best place to complain about DWG inactivity.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,
I’ve noticed that there;s quite a lot left by leonardashley87330. An overpass query to find that (which will still work if they delete their account) is here. Do those changes look OK, or does some of that need reverting?

Also,
We’ve had new accounts created by this user as “francisdouglas88614” (3 different accounts blocked here, here and here) and “freddieforbes” (2 different accounts blocked here and here). It wouldn’t surprise me to see more.
Best Regards,
Andy

1 Like

I’ve raised the “create, get blocked, delete, go round again” issue here.

5 Likes

If only the ISP could be involved as this could turn into malice on whole other data objects.

Think of not only disabling the reuse of user names, but also not allowing to have an email address used more than once.

1 Like