Oceania Subcategory

There’s also an OSM channel on the Perth Geogeeks Slack, and there’s a ‘Maptime Oceania’ Slack workspace as well (but I can’t find the link right now, sorry).

Thanks for the request.

While we wait for the proposed moderators to comment here they are OK with the role, it would be great if you could also add a brief description of yourself in the initial message, as you did for the other two proposed moderators.

As per the current Moderation Selection Criteria note that for the list of moderators to be approved, 5 days of community discussion will need to take place here (always including weekend days) and then a voting poll to validate the list by the community will be open for another 5 days too.

Thanks again!

1 Like

I accept the nomination for moderator (or at least I assume that’s what I am supposed to indicate).

I also accept the nomination for moderator. Sorry I wasn’t explicit about that above.

Thanks everyone,

As per the current Moderation Selection Criteria now the community has 5 days (that must include weekend days) to discuss about this proposal.

After that a voting poll will be opened for another 5 days to validate the list.

Cheers.

Thanks Ruben,

I have reached out on the mailing list and discord to encourage discussion here.

Well done folks on getting this started. Whilst the forum has been less popular than other communication channels its good to have a dedicated area for Oceania mappers. Links to the other channels are in the Australian Mapping Community wiki pages (including link to join the Slack channel)

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Mapping_Community#Social_Channels

Howdy, I’m here to belatedly add my support to the creation of this subcategory.

I’m the moderator of talk-nz, which as mention is currently very quiet, though it does have the occasional flurry of activity if there’s something specific to discuss. E.g. in 2021 there was a lot said about place names The Talk-nz 2021 Archive by thread

If there is a need for more moderators here I’m happy to put my name forward.

1 Like

Thanks Eliot!

@nukeador , would it be ok to add Eliot into the list of moderators, given the discussion period is less than a day old?

1 Like

Do we need to actually discuss anything, or just express our support for the Oceania category & these moderators? I do! :slight_smile:

The description of the process says:

I’d assume that as long as we announced the addition of another moderator we’d just have to allow 5 days of discussion from there.

1 Like

Another vote of support for this subcategory, along with the moderators listed.

Makes sense. I’ve added Eliot now, so I guess the clock can restart. :slight_smile:

Supporting the subcategory creation and all moderators. As an occasional initiator and contributor to conversations across various channels, I would switch to this subcategory for initiating new topics.

I count today as 6 days (although the counter on the thread only says 5 days since 27/10?), so what happens now? :slight_smile:

Hello again everyone,

Five days have passed for the community discussion so now a voting poll is opened for another five days to validate the final list.

The list will be validated if it gets at least 80% of yes votes. Note that votes (who voted what) are public to help identify any abuses.

Thanks!

Do you approve @TheSwavu @Sam_Wilson @Diacritic and @EliotB to be category moderators for the “Oceania” category?
  • Yes I approve
  • No, I don’t approve (please comment below)

0 voters

Sorry, but I’m not sure if my vote registered? When I opened the thread, it said said 6 voters, I’ve approved it, but it still says 6 voters? Do I have to post this vote somehow?

If the poll UI is telling you that you have already voted, your vote will be counted.

1 Like

The #communities:oceania category is now created and the approved moderators have been added to the group.

Please make sure you request an update to the OSM Community Index to include this new channel for your community and remove any former/inactive one.

Also, please make sure you edit the “About community category” topic to include a link to OSM Etiquette in your language, you can provide a translation if needed on the wiki.

Thanks!