No_parking/no_stopping as access graduations on parking lanes

Yes, seeing if and how your proposal can solve all examples, would be very helpful. Again: thank you for your hard work, much appreciated.

Just made a proposal update. parking:right:restriction seems to works well, under the circumstances, even if the example of the taxi rank (Strg+F “Taxi waiting area”) shows that several tags are necessary in individual cases if you want to record it very precisely.

I added more information about tagging parking restrictions to explain, how this tagging should be applied and interpreted.

P.S. By the way, the taxi rank example shows, that there might be a benefit of a waiting_only restriction value - virtually the opposite of no_waiting. Because that is what taxis are allowed to do on a taxi rank (as always, depending on the local legal situation, but they are probably hardly allowed to “park”). But in the end, one could also argue that taxi=designated implies something like that, and I can’t imagine any other cases where it would be useful. However, if there are, the list can be supplemented later.

2 Likes

How would it go with this one? : https://goo.gl/maps/1PfU92jFUmEiRqNh6

(& the photo is a little fuzzy, but the two times shown are both 6am - 6pm)

The taxi rank can be seen as a vehicle type restriction imho, so we have to use access (no access, except for taxis). On the left segment, there is also a loading zone at daytime, therefor we need conditional tagging with repeating time specifications in each of the tags related to this temporary loading zone:

Road segment on the left:

• parking:left=street_side
  • parking:left:orientation=parallel
  • parking:left:access=no
  • parking:left:taxi=designated
  • parking:left:access:conditional=yes @ (06:00-18:00)
  • parking:left:restriction:conditional=loading_only @ (06:00-18:00)
  • parking:left:maxstay:conditional=20 minutes @ (06:00-18:00)

Road segment on the right:

• parking:left=street_side
  • parking:left:orientation=parallel
  • parking:left:access=no
  • parking:left:taxi=designated

Doesn’t look nice, but that’s what multiple parking restrictions are all about :wink:

By the way, since they are distinct parking bays, you could consider mapping them separately with two parts.

Edit: Should we add a taxi_only restriction value? As I mentioned above, taxi ranks are not only a vehicle restriction, because a taxi isn’t parking there. The taxi and it’s driver have to do something (namely “waiting with a taxi vehicle”) to be allowed to be there.

In fact, some jurisdictions treat any vehicle being used for ride sharing as a taxi for certain purposes. I’ve heard this is the case in Singapore.

There are also additional taxi-like vehicle classes in some countries. For example, Puerto Rico has special parking restrictions for jitneys (pĂșblicos, share_taxi). In general, I don’t think we can make many assumptions about the physical characteristics of jitney stands.

Thanks for detailed explanation of how to! :grinning:

& buses? Google Maps

& did we mention Emergency vehicles? Google Maps

Why would it be needed when there is parking:*:taxi=?

Yes, I think you’re right - although with taxis it’s not just about the vehicle type, but also a specific action, this is similar for many other vehicle types (buses, emergency services, sharing vehicles
). We should not open Pandora’s box and then have to introduce new values for every similar purpose. They are already sufficiently covered by the traffic mode keys itself.

Thanks a lot for the update. Looks a lot better than the first revision. I think this is a good compromise between easy tagging and flexibility.

One thought that crossed my mind:

If we want to mimic the tagging from amenity=parking, shouldn’t we also allow something like parking:right:opening_hours=Mo-Fr 10:00-18:00?

Opening hours sounds a bit awkward in this context, but it would be a straightforward use. Would that be okay? Of course this would imply that there is parking:right=no outside opening hours,

I don’t think this is very intuitive as you can open and close a parking lot but not a parking lane.

1 Like

Only marginally related, but I made an overview some time ago about how the traffic signs look in the different countries. Blue-ish=Vienna convention, Yellow-ish: (Inspired by) MUTCD, Red-ish: (Inspired by) SADC, White: Found no information

The vast majority of countries, only parking and stopping is a legal category, waiting AKA standing only in very few. See also

(Corrections and additions welcome)

2 Likes

Also, there is a pitfall: In some countries, “waiting” is actually used synonymous to “parking”. One of them is the United Kingdom. See this random article for example:

No waiting sign and what does it mean?

So I suggest to actually use no standing instead of no waiting, as that is also what is actually written on the sign in places where a third category between no-parking and no-stopping actually exists and appears as text on the sign (the United States). (Well, Phillippines actually has “No Waiting” on the sign, but I think the US is far more representative here)

2 Likes

Oh, that’s interesting. Then I had a big misunderstanding, because I assumed from some of the comments in the proposal process that no waiting rules (in the sense of American no standing!) are existing in the UK. But indeed, this does not seem to be the case. Moreover, it is even more confusing to use the term no_waiting in OSM when in British English this term means no_parking.
Under these circumstances, we should continue using no_standing.

(I was about to raise this issue in the UK community forum, but that doesn’t seem to exist
 Are there British people reading here? And ping to @Kovoschiz since you also suggested no_waiting.)

1 Like

Australia used to have No Standing, but that’s now been replaced by No Stopping.

Do other places also have Clearways?

Clearway signs

"You must not stop on a length of road that has a clearway sign unless you are driving a bus, taxi or limousine and are dropping off or picking up passengers.

If you park or stop in a clearway you may be fined and have your vehicle towed away.

This sign usually applies in peak hour traffic—the sign will show the hours that it applies."

Considering there doesn’t seem to be clear understanding of the terms. I feel like we should creating a consistent set of definitions.

A starting definition:

Parking: Driver leaves stationary vehicle for more than 15 mins up to maxstay value, if any. Preferably in a marked area.

Stopping: Driver in the vehicle while stationary for less than 15 mins. Passengers may embark or limited cargo movement Ex: passenger get out to pickup mobile ordered takeaway or taxi fares pickup area.

Standing: Driver in vehicle while stationary for less than 5 mins. Passengers may embark or limited cargo movement. Ex: leave a letter in dropbox

Loading: expressly there to move goods or/and passengers into and from the vehicle. Duration is determined by nature of pickup or delivery. Driver is assumed to be in or near vehicle (15 mins response time if need to move the vehicle) Ex: delivery of daily supplies or waiting for kids to get on a bus at the end of the school day.

Every country has its own definition of parking, stopping and waiting/standing.
My understanding is that this proposal intentionally avoids a definition of how long each of these can be. The interpretation of “no parking” is left to the data consumer. In Germany, this would allow stopping for up to 3 minutes without leaving your car, in other countries 5 minutes and in another group 15 minutes maybe.

5 Likes

According to Wikipedia, clearways (basically a “no-stopping zone”) exist in several Commonwealth countries, in particular in Australia, New Zealand and parts of the UK. There is an example in the “Typical situations” section.

“Clearway” is an old term for roads with stopping restrictions in general. It is now simply a special name for a certain set of stopping restriction in those countries. Then there is Red Route and Urban Clearway in UK.
I can see this term in historic text, but it is not used in my country anymore.

Does anyone still see any unsolved issues in the proposal or need further discussion? Otherwise, the voting could start soon.

2 Likes

I see no problems, great work!