Newbie: find hotels outside of cities?

Hi everyone!

I am quite new to OSM and just heard of Overpass API a few weeks ago on a rC3 talk.

It was taking me some time to understand the query language (I mean, at least to be able to build some working query :D), especially because in most documentation of the API and QL that I found, the missing part for me was a list of existing of key/value pairs that I could use (found it now at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_features)

There is a hotel I was visiting in 2008 somewhere in the southern part of France, but in a more rural area, not having industrial or residential buildings around it. I do not know however where it exactly was, as I did loose most of my notes of that trip.

I thought I could maybe find it by creating the following query on Overpass Turbo, which I modified from some example:

/*
This has been generated by the overpass-turbo wizard.
The original search was:
“hotel”
*/
[out:json][timeout:480];
// gather results
(
  // query part for: “hotel”
  node["tourism"~"hotel|motel"]({{bbox}});
  way["tourism"~"hotel|motel"]({{bbox}});
  relation["tourism"~"hotel|motel"]({{bbox}});
)->.hotels;

// ["amenity"="restaurant"] was finding also single restaurants, not hotels with restaurant
// ["amenity"="parking"] was finding mostly public parking, not the intended parking space that the hotel had offered in front of their building
// so I tried to query for non-existance of the following in direct surrounings (but it took a lot more time and I think results are not good)
way(around.hotels:20)["landuse"!~"commercial|industrial|residential"]["highway"!~"pedestrian|motorway|trunk|primary|primary_link|motorway_link|trunk_link"]->.parkings;

( node.hotels(around.parkings:20);
  way.hotels(around.parkings:20);
  rel.hotels(around.parkings:20);
 )->.matchingHotels;

// print results
//(.matchingHotels; .parkings;);
(.matchingHotels; );
(._;>;);

out meta;

If someone please could help me on this, to create a not so resource intensive query for hotels surrounded by green area (I mean, like agriculture/vineyards/any intentional or unintentional “green” land that is not a forest)… not situated in front of a motorway or other frequently used street. I do not know if it is possible at all?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

-Thomas

The problems here are:

• the hotel may not be on OSM
  • the green area you talk about may not be mapped
  • the hotel that existed in 2008 may not exist now and could be deleted from the map

The better solution would be to check the map visually and check all the hotels in the area. But “southern France” is a really big area.