New User - some questions & an edit to check

Hello OSM Universe

I have just signed up today and made my first edit, but more on that in a moment.

A brief (I promise) background first. I never knew this world existed until 2 months ago when I bought an edge 800. I refused to pay top dollar for the unit with the garmin map and in researching whether it was possible to put free maps on it, obviously found out that I could - saved myself $200. I also have a nuvi 255W (approx. 2 yrs old) which has just started bugging me for updates to the garmin map. So more research & reading ensued on the nuvi units. I have eventually successfully downloaded and installed routable maps from both osm & osm Australia on the edge and the nuvi.

Some questions on the nuvi using osm Australia (all states & overview):

1. Calculating a route from Adelaide to Bendigo, I tried it 3 times and received 3 different routes. The 2nd time, it routed along the Dukes Highway then departed from the highway somewhere around Keith. I zoomed in along the route and it actually looked like a section of the highway was missing. The 3rd time, it then calculated the route as we would normally go. Why would it do this and is this common?

2. When manually entering the address, selecting “Spell City”, entering “Adelaide”, “Done”, the list to choose from has the suburb names and then TAS, instead of SA. Why is this so?

While fiddling around with the maps and experimenting with short routes around the block, I came across a road that didn’t quite meet to form a T intersection. I was confused at first about why it kept sending me back up the road and round a different block to get me across the intersection. So, taking a deep breath, I have had a go at editing the way and creating the intersection. Probably basic stuff, but a bit daunting for me I must admit on my first log in. If anyone wants to take a look and make sure I have done it correctly, it is the intersection of Richardson Drive and Grenfell Road, Wynn Vale, South Australia, 5127. Richardson Drive stopped just short of Grenfell, so I extended the way. Hope it is all ok. Would appreciate it if someone took the time to check and let me know.

Thanks

Hi,

Your edit of Richardson Drive looks perfect. This road has been edited about 6 times (changing tag names to be the correct ones) so it a bit strange that no one before you noticed the break. When you load down the updated routable maps, the routing here should be spot on.

It’s interesting taht the routable Garmin OSM maps now allow address searching, I’ve been waiting about 3 years for that. I’ll check out the Keith Area soon, to see if I can spot where/if the OSM data is faulty and also check out the address searching as well.

Cheers
Nick

Hi,

Your edit of Richardson Drive looks perfect. This road has been edited about 6 times (changing tag names to be the correct ones) so it a bit strange that no one before you noticed the break. When you load down the updated routable maps, the routing here should be spot on.

It’s interesting taht the routable Garmin OSM maps now allow address searching, I’ve been waiting about 3 years for that. I’ll check out the Keith Area soon, to see if I can spot where/if the OSM data is faulty and also check out the address searching as well.

Cheers
Nick

Hi Nick

Thanks for taking the time to check my edit. The address searching obviously still needs some work as evidenced by my experience, but it can only get better.

I experimented the other day with logging the raw data through the “hidden” feature on the nuvi. However, when I went into the Log folder, I only had 2 files there - traffic.bin & nav.bin. The file that I apparently need is gps.bin, but it is nowhere to be found.

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks
Roger