Need some help in Bangladesh

Is the name of this river Shitalakshma or Shitalakshya?

BTW the Wikidata link is also incorrect.

As this requires local knowledge, it is probably better handled as a map note. None locals will not necessarily have access to suitably copyright cleared sources to give an answer.

In any case, I would argue that the name should actually be শীতলক্ষা নদী, as I assume that signs in Bangladesh are either in Bengali or in both Bengali and English, not just in English, where English really means a Latin alphabet transliteration.

Unfortunately, I can’t decompose the conjunct consonant, in question, easily, but I would note that the first vowel is a long i, which probably pronounces more like ee and I think the sh is probably actually a retroflexive, best represented with a subscript “.” rather than the English sh sound. The a’s will be neutral vowels.

The second word transliterates as nadee.

There is no y or m in the Bangla text. The sh is really a retroflexive. It is possible that the Bangla is wrong, or it might be that a y crept in to approximate the retroflexive.

That syllable (ক্ষা) is:

U+0995 - ka
U+09cd - cancels the final a
U+09b7 - retroflexive Sa
U+09be - long a - the final a would normally be suppressed (or at least that is true for Hindi). Mid-word, this would convert it to a long a (ah in English), but at the end of the word (again true at least for Hindi), it cancels the suppression of the implied a.

It is the same Shitalakshya that the Wikipedia article refers to. And this is the most common name in Latin script, so it should be used, even though it does not correspond to the pronunciation in Bengali. Hence the other other forms e.g. Shitalokkha, though the transliteration from the name on the map would probably be Shitaloksha. And as to why this name ‘Shitalakshya’ is used if it is not spoken like that, it is because like many others it reflects an original Sanskrit pronunciation even if it hasn’t actually been used in Bengal for many centuries.

Also it is probably best to translate the second part, i.e. as river, or leave it out altogether. This will avoid the question of whether to represent it as ‘nadi’ (most common form) or ‘nodee’!

@indicomc: In what language or languages would it be signposted on the ground, as that is what should determine what is in the name tag?

(In some countries, there seems to be a tendency to map in Latin script, when the on the ground situation is either a non-Latin script, or a combination of Latin and local scripts. OSM should be using what is “on the ground”. I think mapping in Latin script happens when there is an English speaking intelligentsia, or most mapping is done by, European, ex-patriates.)

I don’t really know about Bangladesh, but would expect to be similar to the situation in India. Which is that in rural areas the signage is always in the local language, with Latin script as an option sometimes, e.g. on main roads and rail stations. But in large cities and where there are travellers there is frequent use of Latin scripts.

The ‘name on the ground’ message could work better in Bangladesh than in India because there is only one language and not the same drive to work in the same way across regions with multiple languages.