Nav app based on OSM (Europe + central Asia maps) on iPad

Hello,

Next summer, I plan to go to Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan by car from Europe (France).
I have already been to Kazakhstan from France and at that time I used a Garmin GPS 2+ and a laptop with nRoute (Garmin software) and OSM maps.
It worked great.

But this year, I have bought an iPad and a mount and I would need your help to choose a software which would suit my needs.

I have already noticed this web page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Apple_iOS

But I am a bit lost.

Actually I would need:

• Detailed maps
  • Navigation tools (a bit like on Tomtom GPS)
  • Point of interests (i.e.: restaurants, hotels, supermarkets, gas stations,…)

Would you know any good software?

Thank you :slight_smile:
Thibaut

I use Skobbler’s GPS Navigation app on my iPhone and it works very well. My only criticism is that they only update the maps every 6 months or so, and I live in a part of the world where the OSM data is growing very quickly.

hi csdf,

Thanks for your message.
How does Skobbler work regarding the map management?
Do you have to download a series of maps of the regions you want or, can you download the entire world?
Do the cities are well defined? Do you have POIs and can you search them?

Thank you!

It works in two ways - if you have network access it downloads tiles on the fly. Otherwise, you can download individual countries or regions or the entire world from inside the app (this is a one-time purchase with, as far as I remember, lifetime updates). POIs are very searchable, though limited to a 10km radius around your current location. You can also route to an address, though the effectiveness depends on the region (it’s pretty good in Europe, pretty useless outside). If you have downloaded the data, you don’t need internet access to route. You can also route to anywhere on the map just by tapping and asking it to route you to that point.

Sounds good! I think I will download it and try it :slight_smile:
Thank you for your feedback.