Naming of buildings

Hi,

I was just mapping an apartment complex in Chiang Mai and wasn’t sure how to best name the buildings there.

The complex is called “dcondo sign” (all lowercase on their signs and website). The buildings are named A, B, C and D.

I’d like to add the building names to the map, but I am unsure of the best way to do this. I see the following options for the name tag:

1. dcondo sign Building A
  2. Building A
  3. A

Option 1 is quite long a clutters the map.
Option 3 and 4 can be ambiguous in a location selector.

Also option 1 additionally looks ugly in its capitalization, but it is the name on the ground. I assume it would be incorrect to map it as “DCondo Sign Building A”.

What are your thoughts?, Maybe this problem has already been solved a million times before.

1 Like

If the building is a part of a complex, I don’t think the complex name should be included in the building’s name tag. (Imagine if the name of every complex, not just residences, existed in their buildings’ name tag; as you indicated, it would be cluttered.) For me, I’d like option 2 (Building A).

So, the complex should be tagged as an area. The in-use tag for an apartment complex is landuse=residential with residential=apartments.

For the stylized name (dcondo / D Condo), I can’t find a common practice in OSM, therefore writing it according to the sign may be the safest way.

1 Like

If “dcondo” appears on the sign but “D Condo” tends to appear in writing, I don’t think OSM is very consistent about which style would go in name and which would go in alt_name. But make sure to add both keys so geocoders can find the complex regardless of what users search for.

1 Like