mkgmap:road-speed-class

Removed

My impression is that the device (Oregon 600) does not care a lot for speed settings when doing a simulation. Even maxspeed seems to be ignored (e.g. 256 km/h on motorways with a speed limit of 100 km/h).

Removed

the road classes are not arbitrary. The highest speed is 120km/h. In Mapsource however you could set your own speed for each speed class. It doesn’t change the route however, it’s only used to calculate the arrival time.

Removed

Well, than the map you are using is having a wrong style-file (or it is wrong on purpose to get better routing results, while not caring for ETA).

Removed

I am a little confused by your question. Do you mean the lines in the “lines” file:

highway=trunk [0x02 road_class=4 road_speed=5 level 4]

Here you set road_speed. There’s a table showing the meanings of that numbers somewhere (sorry, I do not have the link to it).
road_speed=7 is the maximum, and I thought it meant 110 km per hour. But in demo mode, my Oregon will speed up to 256 km/h nonetheless. I did not check the speed used for calculating ETA.

Removed

Take a look at a message of the mkgmap mailing list:
http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/PATCH-v2-Move-maxspeed-calculations-to-style-file-td5775551.html
Haven’t tried that yet, but it could help in your situation.

Removed

Sorry, I did not read that whole thread. Not being members of the core of that mailing list, we need not expect answers there…
With mkgmap version 2724 (as of Sep 29), the function maxspeedkmh() is not available (I get error messages when I try to use it in my style file).

Simulation speed is not the speed used for calculating ETA!
I suspected so because of the fast speed of simulation on German motorways. Now I checked that more closely.
For a section 46 km on A70 east of Bamberg, the Oregon 600 calculates a time of 26 min (corresponding to 110 km/h, in accordance with road_speed=7 meaning 110 km/h. But when doing the simulation, it runs at 254 km/h (must correct the 256 above…), and arrives far earlier.
Routing thru Bayreuth town from south west to north east is 8.35 km, and time calculated is 12.5 min, corresponding to 40 km/h (expected from maxspeed: almost 50).
I tried also a simulation from Bamberg concert hall to my home (67 km, some 45 km on above motorway) on a freshly prepared map of central Europe. The Estimated Time at Arrival shrunk severly during simulation. The device run faster than the speedlimits:

• 50 instead of 30,
  • 70 instead of 50
  • 130 instead of 100 (also here I must correct an earlier statement)
  • 254 instead of 120 (i.e. 120 was totally ignored).
    So my impression is: when it comes to calculating ETA, the devices uses the speedlimits which the road_speed item is supposed to mean. When it comes to simulation, the device uses something different.
    Consequently, when creating maps with mkgmap 2724 for an Oregon 600, I’ll go with the common assumptions on maxspeed and road_speed.

It is not part of the current regular release. There are unlikely to be any new regular releases for a while, so I can’t say when it might appear.

Removed

Removed