Minutely updated vector tiles demo

It’s been a busy couple of weeks for me with non-OSMF work stuff as I was at both PGConf.dev and State of the Map US. I then picked up a cold at the end of SOTM US, so I am just now getting back to work.

My status talk was not accepted into SOTM US so I did a bird’s of a feather session where I talked with @Branko_Kokanovic and @jake-low. I also got to talk to more people than I can list at the conference, generally about vector tiles and my work. I need to write all of the discussions up still, so I’ll provide details later.

Tilekiln is mostly feature complete. I sent an update to the EWG recently and the remaining work for this part of the project is error handling, logging, documentation, and upstream Shortbread work. Since I was away I haven’t had a chance to hear back yet.

The original project agreed with the OSMF was to include development of a style that can “show off what can be done with OpenStreetMap data” and deployment of both that style and Shortbread to OSMF hardware. Shortly after the contract was signed it got reduced in scope to meet budget requirements, cutting out the showing off what can be done with OSM data and deployment. The plan was to extend the contract if the first part was successful and the OSMF was able to go ahead.

I proposed to the EWG that the contract be extended to cover the second part of the work. They discussed it while I was at the conferences. I think if the work gets picked up depends mainly on funding availability.

Because deploying to production OSMF hardware is part that was cut from phase 1, I’m not working on it right now. I have some flexibility to adapt what I am doing as long as I stay within the total budget, but that does not extend to bringing in work that was explicitly cut.

My hope is that by SOTM I will be able to demo a page showing minutely updated vector tiles hosted by the OSMF and possibly have submitted it to be a featured layer.

I will have a blog post coming out at some point with details of the recent work, and another with a summary of discussions I’ve had with others.

26 Likes