Migrating content from old forums

seems like the conversion for links only works when they are given as [url=$LINK]$TEXT[/url], but not for [url]$LINK[/url], see for example

MTB-Relationen gelöscht im Raum Bad Ischl / Hallstatt - users: Austria - OpenStreetMap Community

edit: oh, sorry - just saw that you already mentioned that

Thank you, @Firefishy. Is it intentional that the country specific categories from the old forum are imported under a whole separate category structure than the country specific categories we are already using here? If so, that seems confusing. For example this new United States category vs this old United States category. Maybe the plan is to do some reorganization after importing?

2 Likes

Yes, the plan is to manually fix the duplicate categories after the import.

1 Like

I am resetting the test site now and running another import. Import will complete late Saturday.

Excellent!

Test re-import started again and this time the bbcode to md conversion is looking a lot better.

3% of test import done. Will complete Saturday late afternoon UTC.

@Firefishy

A silver lining on the horizon! :+1: Thank you very much for sharing the current state of work!

Question for me to understand:
is there a real conversion of the posts or are there adjustments on the frontend? I am referring to these BB codes here.

About the errors mentioned…

Many users have not been merged with existing accounts, this needs further investigation

This can sometimes be due to the upper-lower case of the user name, or users who write little or rarely. These can only be “parked” using the old login data until the user logs in for the first time.

1000s of users imported, but with disabled accounts due to missing email in fluxbb database.

There is no way around treating them as a kind of “unregistered user” until a user logs in with the same username as the saved one. Then there is a question as to whether the newly registered user “xy” is the same as the user of the found contributions and whether one would like to have them assigned. Here you come to the point that you also have to rely a little on trust. And if not, then not.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

DE-Text-Version:
Ein Silberstreif am Horizont! Sehr Vielen Dank für die Mitteilung des aktuellen Arbeitsstands!

Frage zum Verständnis für mich:
findet eine echte Konvertierung der Beiträge statt oder finden Anpassungen am Frontend statt? Ich meine hier diese BB-Codes.

Zu den genannten Fehlern…

Many users have not been merged with existing accounts, this needs further investigation

Das kann manchmal an der Groß-Kleinschreibung des Usernamens liegen, oder sind User, die wenig, bis selten schreiben. Diese können nur anhand der alten Anmeldedaten “geparkt” werden, bis sich der User das erste mal neu anmeldet.

1000s of users imported, but with disabled accounts due to missing email in fluxbb database.

Da wird man nicht umhin kommen, diese, als eine Art “nicht registrierte User” zu behandeln, bis eine Useranmeldung erfolgt, die den selben Usernamen hat, wie der gespeicherte. Dann eine Frage, ob der neu angemeldete User “xy” gleich dem User der gefundenen Beiträge ist und man sich diese zuordnen lassen möchte. Hier kommt man an den Punkt, daß man auch ein stückweit auf Vertrauen setzen muß. Na und wenn nicht, dann nicht.

Greetings, Sven

1 Like

@Firefishy Seems there is an issue now with [quote=xxx]…[/quote] if those codes are inline and not in a separate line
See:

[url]…[\url] seems to be fine now.

1 Like

Hi, nice to see progress here.

The old smilies are not converted properly, eg. the cool sunglasses smilie is converted to a blue square with word “cool” in it.

grafik

2 Likes

two minor issues with lists that I’ve noticed:

1. urls don’t work inside a list
  2. list tags for unordered lists don’t get removed

see for example:
Ist das eine OSM-Radroute? - #18 by Robhubi - users: Austria - OpenStreetMap Community

another thing which can be seen in this thread: some quotes work, some don’t, but I couldn’t make out the difference

2 Likes

It seems there is an issue with strikethrough text - it’s converted to ~~strikethrough text~~ - for example in this post.

2 Likes

The migration will not be 100%, in this example it looks like an acceptable conversion to me. I’d be interested to see if there are any cases which are not appropriate.

5 Likes

Test Issues which I will try resolve before final migration:

1. Strikethrough md compatibility Please add strikethrough and underline support in Markdown - feature - Discourse Meta
  2. Avatar image import
  3. urls don’t work inside a list (nesting?)
  4. list tags for unordered lists don’t get removed
  5. Inline (not newline) [quote=xxx]…[/quote] issue
2 Likes

Reset again for new test import. Test Import expected to complete late Tuesday (UTC).

Is that another test run or the final import?

1 Like

Just another test run.

2 Likes

Thanks for feedback!
Everything that is done here is good!

All formatting differences will certainly not be eliminated, they don’t have to be, with a real content conversion! I’m sure the most noticeable leftover stuff has already been reported.
Finally, it is also important to give the user who wrote the post (and who is still registered) full writing rights to his posts, because then you offer the user the opportunity to correct the last details.

Sven

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

Original-DE-Version:

Danke für Rückmeldung!
Alles, was hier getan wird, ist gut!

Alle Formatierungsunterschiede wird man sicher nicht beseitigen, müssen sie auch nicht, bei einer echten inhaltlichen Konvertierung! Die auffälligsten übrig gebliebenen Sachen wurden sicher schon gemeldet.
Schlußendlich ist es dann auch wichtig, dem User, der den Beitrag geschrieben hat (und er weiterhin registriert ist), ihm auch weiterhin volle Schreibrechte auf seine Beiträge zu geben, denn dann bietet man dem User, die Möglichkeit, letzte Feinheiten zu korrigieren.

Sven

5 Likes

Fixed:

3 Likes

Quotes don’t always seem to be displayed correctly if the quotes consists of multiple lines; example.

Reason:

[quote=However, when having the quote-tags not on seperate lines]while the quote is multiple lines
this happens on Discourse[/quote]

I think I have the quote issue now resolved. Going to start another test import shortly.

Reformatting of [quote] was disabled: discourse/base.rb at main · discourse/discourse · GitHub

3 Likes