Migrating content from old forums

572000 / 847796 (67%) of posts now imported.

3 Likes

All posts are now imported.
:partying_face:

This forum now has:

• 55.919 topics
  • 928.962 posts
2 Likes

Good news, hopefully transition will finish soon, and email functionality restored, as it still says to me:

All outgoing email has been globally disabled by an administrator. No email notifications of any kind will be sent.
The final import of the old forum has started.

Seems to be restored now. :smiley:
Now only the certificate for https://forum.openstreetmap.org is missing.

The import has now been completed. All imported content redirects are in place.

There is a simple feed redirect to a static feed asking users to update their feed.

The site certificate now has alt names for forum.openstreetmap.org and forum.osm.org

The @forums-governance will over the next few days merge duplicate categories and make other clean ups.

17 Likes

I kept a spreadsheet with links to all my posts in the old forum.
Nice to see that the links still work and now point to this forum. Great work! :grinning: :ok_hand:

14 Likes

Thanks for mentioning this - I have a short spreadsheet with links to a couple of topix in the old forum which I found most interesting and these linke are also working as before … yes, truly great job and well done @Firefishy (and others who have contributed to this result).

8 Likes

The quality of the migration is much higher than I expected. :star_struck:
Many thanks for this to @Firefishy, @TomH, @Harry_Wood and all those I forgot to mention. :hugs:
A nice gift for women’s day. :dancer:

11 Likes

What can I say… It works! It really works! I am absolutely thrilled! It took a while, but it was worth the wait! Many thanks to everyone involved from me too! Thanks also for the fact that the impatience of many, including me, was rewarded! Now the pendulum of the mapper and forum user is swinging normally again! Great! :+1:

Sven

9 Likes

Great job!

colorful-fan-fireworks

3 Likes

Anyone watching… the old test site https://forum-import-test.openstreetmap.org/ has now been removed.

3 Likes

Question re the old Country categories merging thanks.

I was under the impression that they were going to merge into the new Communities?

Oceania - OpenStreetMap Community says “Duplicate Country categories have been merged”, but we also now have users: Australia - OpenStreetMap Community & users: New Zealand - OpenStreetMap Community

Are these going to be merged into Oceania, or is there something we have to do?

Thanks!

1 Like

I think what @Firefishy meant in the notice is that all the exact duplicates are merged - there are still some (like those you mention) on the list of merges to do.

1 Like

Under certain circumstances, the forwarding of the forum link does not work:

Link in the old forum: Relation; type=collection - Deutschland (Germany) - OpenStreetMap Community Forum
Generated link in the new forum: Relation; type=collection - Deutschland (Germany) - OpenStreetMap Community Forum

If you now manually remove &p=2, it works.

Something else would have to be built in that “&p=[number]” is removed from the old forum link.

Thanks.

Sven

2 Likes

This part seems to be missing.

Presumably that will affect people who’ve previously bookmarked a page rather than a post in the old forum? I’m sure that people have done that, but wouldn’t the best approach here be simply to document it as a known issue and move on (perhaps as an FAQ, if it is even “frequent”)? The job that’s been done here to migrate the old content to the new forum is better than I ever would have expected (or had any right to expect); at some point we have to let people move on to develop all the other new things that people are asking for :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have fixed it now. The &p= value is now ignored.

6 Likes

Thank you very much - not only for this, but for your great work to enable the migration. To say “very well done!” is not enough. :+1:

5 Likes

I’ve noticed that some permalinks for some users profiles /profile.php?id= where not created. It was an edge case in the user merge process. Unfortunate, but not a critical issue which would justify me investing time to fix. Sorry.

1 Like

Great work. Currently I’m not able to tag topics afterwards. Has this option been deactivated or is tagging onl possible when creating a new topic?