Now need to work out the steps for the real import. The import will likely mean the community site will be offline / read-only for a bit. I will properly schedule and announce the outage with at least a few days notice.
I have tried, but doesn’t look like anything is recoverable. The old forum used to be hosted by an individual in the OpenStreetMap NL community. Many years ago the individual walked away from OSM without handing anything over. As part of the OSM.org operations team I was later able by brute force to get a dump of the database and re-host the site, but the unicode data loss likely happened then (bad dump?) or may have happened before then.
The login works smoothly, and I think the posting history is preserved well. All the posts I checked looked very fine.
Will links to the old forum be changed to point to the new url, or will the old link be preserved, and then redirected to the new address?
We will need a redirect anyway for links from “outside”, but having the links inside the new community going directly to the new address will probably be a smoother user experience.
Went over it just this morning and I noticed that [...] or […] inside a quote is missing the opening [ all the time. We use that to point out that text was left out. Other than that, everything I was testing was looking great and worked perfectly
@Firefishy, I just crawled the Wiki. There are 1089 links to the forum, of which 717 are unique AND start with http(s?)://forum.openstreetmap.org (there are some weird Google Translate links, I’ll have to look at).
Of those 717 links, 36 do not redirect, when the part after .org/ is put to the tester link.
Things you need not worry:
http(s)://forum.openstreetmap.org(/index.php) ==> Yeah, that’s kind of expected
Atom and RSS feeds, briefly looking into it, it looks quite complex to fix. I’ll likely add an ugly hack to point all old forum feeds to a static feed with a message asking the person to update their feed links. I don’t want burn a huge amount more time.
The &p= issue, I’ll create a regex which strips the page portion of the URL on redirect.
An easier solution would be to redirect them to the topic itself. We can easily fix those 19 links and make them even better, linking to the right item in the topic. Forum-intern links will working too. Only really lengthy discussion won’t be comfortable, same with links from extern. I could live with that, because the search function of Discourse is really impressive.