Migrating content from old forums

The intention is that changes are not a technical decision (although we’ll have to take in consideration technical limitations or constrains), and these forums are owned by the community, that’s why most of the initial decisions are being open for debate during these weeks.

The governance/accountability and decision making model is being discussed here.

2 Likes

The plan based on last week’s meeting of the @forums-governance team is to go with Option 1, i.e. we will attempt to migrate content from the old forums while also using a redirect mechanism to keep existing incoming links functional. This is made possible by the amazing technical work by @cquest which is showcased here.

The initial structure of categories for sub-communities is going to be primarily location-based.

See this answer for a summary of the meeting results.

11 Likes

So what’s the current status on the migration topic? Can we help with testing, chasing bugs? Anything else maybe to move this forward?

Hi @mmd

Unfortunately the forum governance team is still waiting to hear about any updates on the migration. As decided during last week’s meeting, we are going to start accepting new category requests from communities here and merge messages later once the migration takes place.

As soon as we have an update on the migration testing status we’ll post it here.

2 Likes

Thank you for the update. From what I understand, @cquest is mainly working on the migration, but has some limited bandwidth right now (of course, SotM France is just around the corner, so this makes sense).

As @cquest didn’t participate in the meeting you’ve mentioned, did you double check with him, if creating those categories wouldn’t interfere too much with what he has planned to do, or cause some significant extra effort?

What about the moderator per category topic? IIRC, some previous meeting minutes mentioned the need to have 2-3 mods per category. Would that still be a requirement right now?

Sorry if this sounds a bit pushy, that’s not the intention. I’m just trying to make some sense out of the meeting minutes.

1 Like

We have been trying to get back from him for some time now through different channels, but unfortunately he hasn’t been online since early May. Once he is back online we’ll have a better picture on the migration. Our understanding is that message merging from a future imported category to an existing one is possible.

At least 2-3 moderators is something that is believed to be important for a self-sustainable moderation and the intention is to support communities to get there. If this turns out to be impossible, I expect work with communities to accommodate.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what is the status on the migration? The sticky topic on the old forum is there for a while now pointing to this topic without new information being provided.

1 Like

@Firefishy has taken over the task after unsuccessful attempts to reach out to @cquest. At the @forums-governance team’s meetings, this is regularly the top-priority topic, but unfortunately, we still aren’t ready to perform the migration.

We do encourage people to already use this new platform in the meantime, though, as we’re confident that it will be possible to merge content from the old and new platforms during the migration process.

2 Likes

Thanks for your status update.

1 Like

from my marginal point of view, I notice that

• people around what’s currently my area, at least as of today, aren’t yet really using this new community, and I don’t see them using other OSM platforms, they seem to prefer keeping the discussion on external platforms, like Telegram just to mention the least proprietary.
  • myself not intending to lose track using two distinct platforms, I’m still opening topics on the Panama forum, but I’m looking forward for all the forum threads being migrated here.

in a migration, I would expect the old platform to become read-only, and that all old URLs be redirected to the new platform, maybe to see the original if specifying some ‘redirect=no’.

:roll_eyes:
we are now a few months further, is it already clear when the data from the old forum will be migrated?

2 Likes

Minor status update… I am responsible for the content migration from the old forum to here (discourse, community.osm.org)

I’ve unfortunately had to attend to a few critical issues affecting OSM infrastructure in the last month and have not been able to spend much time on the migration. We recently had to replace network switches at our Amsterdam data centre to improve power resilience and to ensure upgrade path for future connectivity.

I am sorry for the frustratingly slow progress.

5 Likes

Hm…
Trotzdem ist hier Druck angebracht! Ich hoffe inständig, daß es auch so geschieht, nebst allen Folgen: Anerkennung des bestehenden Beitragszählers des alten Forums, uneingeschränkte Editiermöglichkeit alter Beiträge ohne Komplikationen/ Disskussionen (ganz wichtig!!), ect…

Sven

PS: so schnell wird es OT :expressionless:

Hallo,
warum sollte man einen alten Beitrag editieren?
Also wenn schon jemand darauf geantwortet hat finde ich das nicht zweckmäßig

Gruß
Danfost

1 Like

Es hat nicht vermutlich viel Sinn, diese Forderungen in die unterschiedlichsten Topics einzustreuen… das Migrationsthema wird hier behandelt, das Thema der Editiermöglichkeiten hier. Dort kannst Du Deine Wünsche zielgenau platzieren … :upside_down_face:.

@Mammi71 vielleicht die Migrationsbeiträge von hier in das entsprechende Topic verschieben?

4 Likes

Manchmal ändern sich z.B. Links oder die Überschrift stellt sich als missverständlich heraus oder der Beitrag bedarf einer sonstigen Aktualisierung. Hierfür kann zwar immer wieder eine neue Antwort verfasst werden, aber das macht die Sache sehr schnell unübersichtlich, da im Zweifel das gesamte Thema durchgelesen werden muss, statt nur der erste, aktualisierte, Beitrag.

1 Like

Wellicht als je weet wat je (nieuwe) planning is, deze communiceren.
Nu is het wazig allemaal.

1 Like

The OSMF has contracted a Ruby dev to help me with the FluxBB → Discourse migration. Our work together has started this week. He was able to get the first import running locally today.

I’ll post updates as we make progress.

8 Likes

https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2022-11#2022/Res29_Pay_Harry_Wood_for_migration_to_Discourse

4 Likes

Raised this in teh Site Design thread, but it was suggested that it would be better here, so reposting.

Was reading that thread for the first time, & saw this post: Site design and organization - #8 by cquest. I know that it was only a very old example of how things could be migrated, but I noticed the old OSM Communities listed for both Australia & New Zealand.

How would they then integrate with the new “Oceania” community that is just in the process of being created? Would everything from both old spots go together into the new one?

Thanks