Midwife symbol missing/not visible except in edit mode

As the title puts it: the midwife symbol is not visible, except in edit mode.

For example, see this node : Node: ‪Florence Marques-Picard Sage-Femme‬ (‪4329491197‬) | OpenStreetMap

2 Likes

healthcare=midwife is not rendered on osm.org (see other discussion at Why does this feature not render on OSM? (man_made=reservoir_covered)).

3 Likes

switch back to “doctor” since the “midwife” icon is not rendered

I don’t think this is a good reason to change back the value to a less precise/correct one.

7 Likes

There are a lot of tags for POIs that are documented in the Wiki but not rendered on the version of the map you see on openstreetmap.org (openstreetmap-carto). You can request that it should be rendered on the Github issue tracker. Sometimes you will find that someone has previously requested that it should be rendered and the request was refused, for example because the developers of the Carto map style consider it poor tagging. If you agree with them, you can use a different tag, but you don’t have to…

Personally I’ve just got used to the idea that a lot of rarer POI tags are not rendered, or only show as a number (because POIs usually have address tags in my area, and the house number is rendered)

2 Likes

How are “midwife” facilities normally tagged? My guess is that it isn’t “healthcare=midwife”. Looking locally, there are only 7 in the UK and 1 in Ireland. I suspect that they’re actually mapped (if at all) as offices within hospitals, clinics or other health centres where midwives my operator from. Taginfo doesn’t find any obvious huge cache of them, so I guess that they’re not much mapped. See also maternity.

Yes, please don’t do this. It’s mistagging for the renderer.

1 Like

The tag is correct but I assume that many midwifs don’t have a fixed place but travel around.

Please see overpass turbo for Germany

That seems a lot for an advanced country like Germany.

In the UK homebirths (Call the Midwife) haven’t been a thing since the 1970s.

As Andy says, they will be within the maternity unit of hospitals. Locally it’s within the Women’s and Childrens unit of the local hospital. For earlier visit/meetings they will work from the local medical centre (Doctors).

That’s still relatively low, actually - it suggests 417 “healthcare=midwife” vs 2500 “amenity=hospital”. I’m guessing that the actual numbers in each country will depend on the mechanisms in place for providing a particular sort of care. For England, see here for an overview, but different health systems around the world will likely be very different.

If the provision is mostly as part of some other already-mapped place (e.g. a doctor’s surgery; in the UK likely a multi-doctor practice in a larger care group) then that may explain the relatively small number, even in Germany. That smaller number might influence map styles to not consider them as they are “rare” tags.

In order to make a case to a map style to render these tags, I would suggest:

• Find a country worldwide where healthcare=midwife is an obviously important component of antenatal provision (this will be where they are mostly standalone facilities).
  • Make that case to a map style that is not OSM Carto. The reasons for that have been widely discussed elsewhere and I don’t want to bore everyone with them again, but please do remember there are lots of other map styles.

@wambacher 's Healthcare Map comes to mind… It does not show healthcare=midwife yet.

1 Like

That’s still relatively low, actually - it suggests 417 “healthcare=midwife” vs 2500 “amenity=hospital”. I’m guessing that the actual numbers in each country will depend on the mechanisms in place for providing a particular sort of care. For England, see here for an overview, but different health systems around the world will likely be very different.

the German association of midwives says it has about 22000 members, https://hebammenverband.de/ not sure if there are other associations, how many midwives become members, how many midwives are employed by hospitals (and would probably not be mapped individually) vs self employed, etc., but it seems as if we still have a lot to map also in Germany.

Apparently, about 1.3% of births are not in hospital settings in Germany. If this correlated with midwife-led facilities there might be a hundred or so (250 midwives with 2-3 per facility).

In the UK some midwives associated with ante natal care will be integrated with a district nursing scheme. My local ones are based at a multi-functional healthcare clinic. Note that some maternity services in the UK are partially midwive-led, but I suspect there will be more hands-on involvement b doctors after a couple of recent scandals.

1 Like

Probably quite a few of the midwives don’t work on their own, but come together in a healthcare=birthing_centre (described as “An outpatient birthing centre operated primarily by midwives”). Used 570 times right now.

3 Likes

Hi,

This is about France. Every country has its own particularities. I don’t want to go into details about what being an independent midwife in France is. I did it in vain on this forum a few years ago. Their representative council states that they are about 6000 in France, and the number is increasing : Données démographiques - Conseil national de l'Ordre des sages-femmes

midwife = sage-femme ; libéral = independent

Midwife is mostly a woman’s profession, for women. And as such, it is scorned in many ways, at least in France. I really don’t know how to issue that request to ask for the icon rendering. So, if anybody wants to help French women find a midwife thanks to more inclusive maps, please, feel free to do it. Not for me, but for them.

Thanks in advance.

Then I suggest you address this to OSM-FR who maintain a map which reflects things which are important to the French community.

Although the infographic supplied suggests less than 60% work in hospitals, I’m not sure this truly reflects the actual situation, as under 1% of births occur outside hospital (the linked paper is also interesting because it uses road data, from IGN, to analyse accessibility to maternity services, something which has recently been done with OSM data).

I don’t know how many in France are associated with other healthcare facilities, but the first one I click on is in the same building as a couple of paediatricians and a nurse. These may just be independent practices sharing a building, but may represent practitioners who work in concert. It would be interesting to know to what extent similar clusters exist in France. Nor do i know to what extent these might be totally independent or working under contract rather than as salaried employees: for instance the CHRU Brest has a whole battery of people performing a wide range of home care visits (physios, nurses, …).

Note also that the main Carto-OSM usually only considers adding something once a minimum threshold of elements exist on OSM: healthcare=midwife currently has about 1000 instances, which below this threshold which appears to be 2000. (On a personal note, I think the likely actual number of global instances should also be considered, but this is a decision of the maintainers).

I think more information about likely numbers in other European countries and North America should be easy to obtain, but independent midwifes and also both traditional birth attendants and doulas are likely to be much more significant in the global South. Taken together such information can help build a case for rendering these facilities.

1 Like

If they are “under-mapped” then it might also be a candidate for a custom Mapcomolete layer or a possible addition to the existing healthcare one.

2 Likes

How to I get in touch with OSM-FR ?

In France, it takes 5 years at the university to become a midwife. It IS a healthcare profession (profession médicale), which doula is DEFINITELY NOT. So, they can’t be put in the same category.

Who talked about birth ? Independent midwives in France may, but generally are not involved in the delivery itself. But they do a whole lot of other things I don’t want to go into.

Comparing with other countries doesn’t make any sense on this topic.

1 Like

Contact - OpenStreetMap FranceJe souhaite qu’un élément de la carte n’apparaisse pas, que faire ?

1 Like

The French OSM webpage is here, and the forum (separate from this one) is here.

I didn’t say it did.

OpenStreetMap is a global project and that means we must also think about countries which don’t have the resources to train all birth attendants and assistants at university level. The WHO estimates a shortfall of nearly 1 million trained midwives.

Of course it does. The original question is regarding rendering locations tagged healthcare=midwife which therefore applies to the main map on the OSM website, which is a global one.

I think you may be better following @InsertUser’s suggestion above.

2 Likes