Mass-borttagning av multipolygoner i Sverige

I suspect that the changeset comment is this one. What I said there is a little bit more nuanced (“If I am mapping in an area and adding new features”) than what you are suggesting.

Back on that changeset, I suggested discussing in the forum, so thanks for doing that :slight_smile:

Maybe I’m missing something here, but where is anyone suggesting duplicating nodes?

To look at an example (just where I happened to be browsing the map) this recreation ground polygon shares nodes with this linear fence. It would be entirely possible to create the recreation ground as a multipolygon consisting of the fence and one or more other ways. We can argue about which is easier to maintain, or which better reflects the objects in the real world, but the number of nodes is unaffected.

2 Likes

I’m using iD primarily, but I also prefer relation-based landcover, as it reduces the number of ways I need to draw. Double ways are terrible to edit (albeit logical for the beginner). I do not like this sort of bulk editing for a subjective change; I agree with @Wulfmorn.

4 Likes

You both mention that you prefer to edit fewer ways, but in my edits I greatly reduced the number of ways while adding none. How does that work?

Thanks for nuancing the comments @SomeoneElse. It’s always difficult to read mindsets across a few lines of text, so this is important. But, still, this means you would do it if you came across it which is just a lesser way of doing the same.

See my links from the first post:

Here it is ok to have no relations for landcover (farmland here): Way History: 221317321 | OpenStreetMap

Here I would use ONLY relations to cover the entire island: OpenStreetMap

Another example is this area here Way: 559901500 | OpenStreetMap. The bottom of the area has 3 ways on top of each other now, where if it was a relation it would have 1 way. :information_source: This does not seem to be related to Caspers project, however.

If this type of “side by side”-area mapping is the goal, then I’m completely against it. If I have misunderstood something and it’s only the cases such as the farmland mentioned above that gets “de-relationed”, then I’m fine with it (1 member relation → way). But, so far, this is not my understanding of the project.

At this time, I have to admit I’m not entirely sure which overpass query is used to select objects, or what the exact project parameters are, and I would not presume to know all the details here. The discussion thread is very long. If I have misunderstood something and there is true merit to the project I dont mind being corrected, however:

I would like to point out these things:

• Mass edit done in Sweden was not discussed or even mentioned on Swedish forum (here)
  • Unclear about the parameters for what data is transformed
  • Reason for mass edit is subjective
4 Likes

Ok, it’s not the absolute number of ways that is decreased with an MP, but the number of overlapping ways in the same location. With a relation there is ONE common way to edit. With connected ways (without MPs) there are overlapping ways on top of each other.

Overlapping ways are more cumbersome to edit than a single non overlapping way. Sure, the absolute count of ways will be +1 for the MP case but there will be no overlaps at all. Zero. Nada. Niente. The difficulties editing the overlapping section wille far exceed the minor problem of a MP with one extra way.

4 Likes

To give a bit more comprehensive and nuanced reply than I previously did:

I think there are really two separate discussions going on here:

1. type=multipolygon relations vs. closed ways when possible
  2. Changing one way or the other

So let’s tackle them one at a time:

type=multipolygon relation vs. closed ways

While I prefer multipolygon relations over closed ways for most landuse/landcover, I can definitely understand people having different preferences. Editor support for both ways of mapping is not the best it could be, though also not as terrible as some describe (especially those opposing multipolygons).

Purely theoretically (this should not be the primary consideration, though it should also be taken into account) I also prefer multipolygons, as a border between two landuses/landcovers is by definition a single border, and should thus be represented as a single way.

For free-standing polygons like buildings, parking areas, etc., I definitely think closed ways are the right answer unless strictly necessary. However, landuse/landcover is quite different:

• Given a complete dataset, it should cover the entire area of interest (in OSMs case the entire planet), thus all areas should border against another area (in practice in OSM this is not always the case, as e.g. highways are rarely mapped with a dedicated area and often are a “gap” in the landuse/landcover)
  • Areas are generally large and with many nodes (a normal building has maybe 4-10) while landuse/landcover can have hundreds or even thousands

I’ll refer to @Tomas_Marklund’s post and illustration above on why this matters, but to also put it in my own words I’ll give a few example scenarios:

When newly mapping an area (or mapping an area that was previously only very coarsely mapped)

Using multipolygons means I only have to click once per node per landuse/landcover border. Mapping using closed ways would mean twice the number of node clicks on each area (as noted in the first point because each border is shared by two areas, and as noted in point two this usually means very many extra clicks), as well as a risk of misclicking.

When adding something between two existing areas (like adding a beach between a forest and water)

Using closed ways

1. It starts with the two existing areas (closed ways)
  2. First I need to select every single node that should be disconnected and disconnect them (luckily I can do all at once, though I still need to select them each), and then pull each of them apart
  3. Finally I need to click on each node in the new opening to create the new closed way/area

Using multipolygons

1. It starts with the two existing areas (multipolygons with a shared border)
  2. Next I’ll draw a new way which will be the border between beach and forest and cut the old forest/water border
  3. I remove the forest relation from the part of the old border that will now be between beach and water and add the new way to the forest relation
  4. Finally I can just select the two ways and create a new multipolygon for the beach

Using multipolygons might seem like they have more steps, however in practice they are almost always faster and easier (once you get used to them), as drawing new ways is a lot faster than adjusting existing nodes.

When moving a border between two existing areas

When free-standing there is no significant difference between using multipolygons and closed ways as both mean moving each node manually. It can however be worth it to draw a completely new border if it is very long (though this will lose the history) if it is a multipolygon, which is a slight advantage.

Parks, place=island, etc. I generally prefer to handle the same as landuse/landcover, as they usually share a border with the landuse/landcover (place=island has the same outer members as the water has inner members for that particular island).

The exception to the rule

There is also a case where I map landuse/landcover using closed ways rather than multipolygon; when it is completely enclosed by one other multipolygon. For example farmland impediments and islands of uniform landcover (the closed way also being an inner member of the farmland/water multipolygon), overlapping landcover on landuse (like natural=wood on landuse=meadow/residential, no inner member in this case). This is mostly for convenience in iD, as I can just draw the the area and tag it, rather than draw line, create multipolygon relation, tag it.

Possible editor improvements

All this is written from the point-of-view of a primary iD-user, I can’t really comment on how these arguments are different in JOSM or other editors.

There are definitely improvements that can be done to iD, both for making multipolygons and closed ways easier to handle. Some examples:

• Downloading of entire multipolygon relations (automatically or on user command)
    • This would be a requirement for better validation as well as get rid of the invalid rendering of large multipolygon relations
  • Improved validation of multipolygon relations, and possibly preventing saving entirely on some issues
  • Automatically assigning roles when possible (example: when creating a new multipolygon relation and all included ways form one valid outer ring, they should all be given the outer role)
  • Better editing of existing ways (this would be an improvement to both approaches), something like “select existing start node, draw new geometry, end on existing node”

Changing one way or the other

Having covered that, I think we can agree on one thing: Both approaches have their merits, and there is no clear community consensus. As such, I think doing edits for the sole purpose of changing the way of mapping is definitely wrong. If either camp wants to change things, these things should be done first:

1. Get clear community consensus (not “everyone agrees”, but a majority agrees or at least finds it acceptable)
  2. Adjusting wiki etc. to reflect this change
  3. Do mass-edits

I quite strongly think that @Friendly_Ghost should immediately cease these edits until the above steps have been followed.

There is also the history to consider. I somewhat frequently check the history of landuse/landcover elements (something like “based on this satellite imagery I think this should be farmland, not residential, but the imagery might be old and not should new development, so I need to know when it was added and based on what source”). And these mass-edits make this practically impossible past the mass-edit.

I have personally considered doing this kind of mass-edit on areas I’m mapping, only in the other direction (changing landuse/landcover closed ways into multipolygons), but have not done so because of a lacking consensus (and me not having the time). Though all this has made me start re-considering…

There might also be completely different solutions like adding a dedicated area datatype, though that would be a quite hard problem to solve well. (see also)

3 Likes

Since I havn’t used iD in a couple of years its hard to compare, but I feel quite confident that both those methods are easier in JOSM :slight_smile: I’m confident that unglue + refine way (W) would make the closed way method very quick, and split ways + paste relations makes working with relations very quick.

:+1:

2 Likes

I don’t understand anyone you would say that two adjacent closed ways are more difficult to edit. They still share the same nodes, and it is very easy to edit the ways together or separately.

As mentioned before, software support for relations is in fact weaker and they are also more resource-hungry. I already shared this link, but I would like to repeat Woazboat’s words that multipolygons should only by used when they are absolutely necessary: 1-member multipolygons - #68 by Woazboat.

Interestingly, I actually restored the histories of many ways that used to be closed ways before they were turned into MPs at some point in their history. You can see these for yourself if you look for ways with a high version number in my changesets.

I concur with step 1.

I wonder what Wiki documentation you’re talking about.

I’m not doing mass edits in the way they’re described on the Wiki. There’s no automated edit process going on and I do review all objects I edit. I even fixed a bunch of unrelated errors along the way, like an islet that had no coastline.

That would be ideal.

Do you have an example of this?

I think you are putting a big hole in your own argumentation here. You arrived at your opinion and decided to second guess everyone elses opinion with mass edits. This means I could go to the Netherlands and convert all closed ways to relations because I think they are easier to work with. Right?

I’m a bit annoyed now actually. I never wanted to involve myself in this kind of debate but this is just too much to keep quiet about. And the changes are so massive that nobody will be able to even consider them case by case to see if they were sensible or not. What a waste of time, for us, you can all the people who spent a lot of time building up these multipolygons. I think what remains now is to find out if we have to waste DWG’s time too.

Yes, I read Woazboats arguments too, and I was equally unimpressed by them.

4 Likes

Stora ändringar är redan genomförda men det går inte att få en vettig översikt över vad som har hänt, eller hurvida de är att betrakta som skadegörelse eller som förbättring (eller neutralt).

Bör vi be DWG om att revertera aktuella changesets som involverar ovan nämnda akitiveter i Sverige?

• Ja
  • Nej
0 voters
1 Like

If you don’t understand the other viewpoint I suggest you attempt to do so, as it will help in the discussion (and is likely to help you construct arguments for your case that appeal to people like me).

I fully disagree with “software support for relations is in fact weaker”, as I wrote before it’s suboptimal, but the same is true for closed ways (worse in fact, in my opinion).

If you have a way to edit closed ways in iD without clicking double a lot I’d be happy to hear that!

If this was done in the other direction I also disagree with that having been done, unless it was done as part of other editing (for example I often change closed way landuse/landcover into multipolygons when I’m editing them or adjacent areas, however only if I am also significantly changing them).

But I disagree with changing it the other way “just because”, as it just unecessarily muddles the history further.

I’ve seen it mentioned in a couple places, but the most prominent might be How to map landuse - OpenStreetMap Wiki

Maybe not according to the dictionary- (or in this case wiki-) definition, but it’s effectively the same thing: you are editing large amounts of data in a way that affects a lot of other mappers (negatively, in my opinion). Maybe there needs to be some other instructions for this if it is considered distinct from mass-edits, but until this is established I think you should be following those rules.

Way: 1205414959 | OpenStreetMap (impedient in farmland)
Way: 1201873158 | OpenStreetMap (farmland completely enclosed)
Way: 1197974987 | OpenStreetMap (island of uniform landcover)

2 Likes

Röstar helt klart på revert.

Kan det senare visas att det finns consensus (globalt eller lokalt) kan ändringarna upprepas, men tills det är fallet bör ändringarna revertas.

1 Like

Obviously. I read the argument several times, but so far each time without an in-depth explanation. That doesn’t help much.

You can’t restore histories by making relations, so that wouldn’t even work. What I did works fine, though: Way History: 24060479 | OpenStreetMap

Reducing the points I shared in previous comments to “just because” is a very creative way to oversimplify the situation.

I can count the number of substantial revisions of that page after 2013 on one hand. It definitely needs an update.

Thank you. This is how I would also map these areas.

Then don’t just read the arguments. Put yourself in the other sides shoes. Here, I’ll even give you a start:

1. Go to OpenStreetMap (that’s a pretty typical example of how the level of mapping before I start)
  2. Map the area shown in the screenshot below in iD, using multipolygon relations for landuse/landcover (can ignore others feature types like buildings and roads as they aren’t really part of the discussion), aim at a level of detail similar to this area
  3. (if you’re usually not mapping using iD) Find another area (there are plenty around the previous one) and repeat using closed ways for all landuse/landcover unless necessary
  4. Write down the pros and cons for each approach
  5. Haven’t found both pros and cons for both approaches? Repeat from step 1 until you do. I assure you you will, provided you have a reasonably open mind.

Right, so tell me, what were the tags like in version 13? How many clicks does it take to find out?

And note how you only can see the tags of previous versions on that page because it once used to be a closed way. What if it newer was in the first place?

Again, I hope you can agree that there is not a broad agreement on this, for neither approach? While a slight simplification, that can be regarded as the arguments “canceling each other out”, thus resulting in a change without a reason.

I’m not saying that working to reduce the number of multipolygons (by starting with building consensus and educating) would be “just because”, but that your edits so far boil down to “just because” as described in the previous paragraph.

As long as the information is still valid, why should it update?

Again, work to build consensus first. Then the information on wiki pages such as that one would no longer be valid and need an update.

Yes, though you’ve actually made me start to reconsider how I map those :wink:

Remember, OpenStreetMap values community cohesion over data perfection. I understand how frustrating that can be; something that would take you a few hours to perform might takes years to get the community to agree on, having to deal with strong opposing viewpoints and bike shedding and other issues along the way.

My previous job was with the The Swedish Mapping, Cadastral and Land Registration Authority, working with the “official” topographic map of Sweden. It included a lot of collaboration, both internally and with external partners. At one point I was in a 4 hour meeting discussing the definition of “building”, without coming to a conclusion that was broadly agreed on (is a bus shelter a building? a statue that you can stand under for rain protection? should terraced houses be individual buildings cut at the property lines or not? (that last part actually had some interesting influences from a Swedish legal definition of building, which doesn’t agree with the common definition held by most people)).

I’m very technically minded, so this kind of diplomatic/collaborative work can be a pain at times, but I’ve come to recognize that it’s almost always worth it, long term. Yes, you might regard it as a waste of time and just want to get on with it, but that risks alienating other mappers (or data consumers, though that’s less relevant in this particular discussion), pushing them away from the project.

4 Likes

From page: How We Map - OpenStreetMap Wiki

Do not engage in large-scale “cleanups” without securing the agreement of the relevant community

5 Likes

I see that I have not followed this guideline closely enough. Feel free to revert my edits and we can continue the discussion from there. Do run the validator over it to see if you’re not re-introducing errors to the map.

2 Likes

Of course, the vote is 5-5 (I haven’t voted). :stuck_out_tongue:

If the community is undecided with an even split, then I guess it’s more up to the individual people who originally made the multipolygons to request reversion, but how would we get an overview of who they are, to contact them?

I guess I’ll leave the vote open for a while, for anyone who is away for the weekend to come back and participate. We’ll see where we stand on, let’s say, Wednesday.

Please vote: Mass-borttagning av multipolygoner i Sverige - #31 by Wulfmorn

very cracy: now the vote ist 8 to 8 :wink:

Yes, it is… both disappointing and kind of cool :slight_smile: But if it stays this even I think the conclusion is:

• The Swedish community generally disapproves of undiscussed mass edits (not deduced solely from this forum thread, and I believe this is also a universal opinion in all countries).
  • The Swedish community has no consensus on whether this particular type of change is good or bad.
  • Each individual user that has been affected by the mass edit has some degree of support from the community to request a revert of the change or revert it themselves.

It would be good to see some thumbs up/down on this preliminary summary.

9 Likes

A good summary.

1 Like