Mapping houses and surrounding property/gardens?


I’ve been mapping houses in the area I live and I was wondering if there was a way to map not just the house, but property that goes with it (garden, driveway, etc) as an area. I think there is a specific word for it with Ordnance Survey uses, but I can’t remember what it is.

An example of what I mean is in the following link:



Yes, take a look at this example:

Thanks for link. I was under the impression that leisure=garden was meant for public gardens. Is this true? Is there not a better tag for private gardens like this?



I’ve started mapping gardens and separating them using barrier=wall and barrier=fence. Here is what I’ve done:

As you can see I’ve tried mapping driveways. Is this too much detail? Is this even the correct way to tag them? They don’t render too well at lower zoom levels.



Yes, the MapFeatures suggest to use leisure=garden for public gardens and NOT to map private gardens.


Do you know if there is another feature I can use?

Map Features says:
"Place where flowers and other plants are grown in a decorative and structured manner or for scientific purposes. "

Nothing suggests that private garden couldn’t apply here. Just add a tag like access=private or operator=mum_and_dad

Thanks Pieren,

One problem however is that not all private gardens are gardens at all - at least not in the sense that they grow plants…

I still think there should be another tag for the piece of land that belongs to a building.