Is there a way to make all these possible:
- users want to view the map using desktop Java appliation with some moving markers on it - markers can report their positions in real time and desktop application can handle it;
- users want an application to have routing functionality;
- users also want to edit the map - add/delete some specific information;
- users does not have a possibility to download the map from the internet every time.
As far as I understood, fisrt I need to do is to set up a local map server:
- download the area users interested in from http://planet.openstreetmap.org into local .osm file;
- edit downloaded .osm file in JOSM editor - http://josm.openstreetmap.de;
- set up PostreSQL - http://www.postgresql.org;
- set up PostGIS extension to PostgreSQL - http://www.postgis.org;
- import local (edited) .osm file into PostgreSQL using osm2pgsql - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osm2pgsql;
- set up Mapnik to generate tiles from PostgreSQL/PostGIS - http://www.mapnik.org;
- set up Apache Web Server with mod_tile - http://httpd.apache.org, http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mod_tile;
- create Java desktop (Swing) application with JMapViewer component - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JMapViewer.
If I put down everything correctly :/, I want to ask some questions:
- is described way correct? or there is some other (simpler) way to do that - may be to use Shapefiles and geotools instead of Mapnik?
- how to set up Apache+Mapnik+PostGIS on Windows to make it a tile server for JMapViewer like tile.openstreetmap.org - I could not find any tutorial?
Thank you very much in advance.