LearnOverpass site is no longer working not maintained

When I was learning Overpass, one of the best places was LearnOverpass because it has exercises to practice online. However, it stopped working because an Overpass URL is no longer the same.

In the GitHub repository, there are several issues, some related to this URL problem, but none of them have been processed, and the page is not working correctly.

I decided to fork out this project and publish my version. I have corrected the issues it had, and I also translated it into Spanish. The site is: LearnOverpass

What happened with the original site because it was part of osmlab? I don’t want to compete with this great site, but I want to bring back this learning service.

6 Likes

This project started as a (paid) Google summer of code work, which was mentored by the overpass turbo maintainer. Once the student left, no one took over the project, and today it’s abandoned. IIRC @Mateusz_Konieczny also tried to revamp the site a few years back.

I think it’s good for some basic topics but it doesn’t cover more of the advanced or newer topics since around 2017 maybe.

3 Likes

Do we have some way for people to take over abandoned projects on OSM Lab · GitHub ?

Maybe transferring this repository to @AngocA would be a good idea?

2 Likes

Personally, I think that there’s absolutely nothing wrong with creating something that’s started out as a fork of something else, but perhaps evolves into something better!

1 Like

If you took it over @AngocA, I would be more than happy to volunteer some weekly hours to support you revamping/updating.

1 Like

Thank you for the proposal. I will be happy to receive the management of this repo. The only thing is that I am not a developer, so it won’t be easy for me to add new features or fix bugs. I don’t promise things in this area. Instead, what I can do is manage the pull requests and keep the project alive.

2 Likes

Also take a look at Leigh Dodds site for an extended Overpass tutorial.

3 Likes

How can I request the repository transfer to me?

I’d recommend to get in touch with Bryan Housel (see OSM Lab · GitHub header for email address). He can grant you access to that particular repo, as a collaborator. This way, the repo remains as is in the osmlab organization, and you’re getting the necessary rights to merge pull requests, etc.

3 Likes

It seems that it has worked - see Commits · osmlab/learnoverpass · GitHub

2 Likes

Yes, I made the modifications to make it work. Now, we can start to improve it by creating more guides. For example, converting this tutorial into exercises: Geographic data mining and visualisation for beginners - Overpass turbo tutorial

1 Like