Layout on mobile looks broken

The actual list of topics is confined to a tiny square. It looks as if this is the desktop layout. Here is a screenshot:

In contrast, this is how the “all categories” view looks like in meta.discourse.org:

The “everything” view looks better, but the topic titles are still only confined to half of the screen:

The same view on the other hand on meta.discourse.org looks better, like this:

On a Nokia X10 with Firefox (latest Google Play version, no plugins) I see this:

1 Like

Hm, if I open community.openstreetmap.org in a private tab (=logged out, no cookies), the layout looks fine. So, it must be a setting? But what setting could that be?

When I just log out, the layout is still broken. Or actually, it displays fine for a second, then snaps back to being broken :thinking:

Clearing all firefox cookies and site data doesn’t lead to a change, disabling ublock origin neither

Hm.

Which browser do you use @westnordost ? Often in the browser settings there is one called Request desktop site or similar. Depending on the browser, it may also stay on globally, on only for that site.

e.g. in my IceCat:

1 Like

No, it’s off. Also, IceCat? Isn’t that abandoned since years? Right now I can only find Fennec and Mull on F-Droid. Don’t know if there are any other maintained Firefox re-brandings / de-bloatings / forks.

Perhaps some other (privacy-related) extension (or changed advanced setting) or proxy that you’re using? Does it have “safe mode” desktop equivalent? Did the mobile site ever work correctly in that browser before? Have you tried any other browser? I have at least 6-7 on mobile so I can compare how badly websites are written :slight_smile:
All of them display community.osm.org fine (i.e. without the issues you’re having).

Also, IceCat? Isn’t that abandoned since years?

Yes, it is. I still use it for few dozen trusted sites, though, as I can’t be bothered to export and convert its data somewhere else, nor to retype it manually. (and since I’ve stopped trusting mobile phones with any important data years ago, security is not a huge issue there).

Right now I can only find Fennec and Mull on F-Droid. Don’t know if there are any other maintained Firefox re-brandings / de-bloatings / forks.

Don’t know. Until more recently, F-droid had Firefox Klar which was amazingly fast. Nowdays I use Privacy browser or Einkbro for random websites. Don’t know what codebases they use, though. I try to not use mobile for websites too much though - even without security issues it’s just uncomfortable in most cases with bloated websites and small screens.

How’s layout now that we have updated to Discourse 3.1?

I can’t reproduce this anymore. (I have a new phone OS now, though)