LatAm moderators re-validation - December 2022

Hi all,

As described in the Moderator selection criteria, categories that were created before this was approved, need to run a re-validation of their moderators on December 10th to comply with the agreed policy.

Our category is part of them, so we open this topic to discuss about how the moderation team should look like moving forward.

We have five days to discuss:

• How well moderation has been working so far?
  • Is there someone else who we feel should join the moderation team? (please check on requirements first)
  • Are there any other changes needed to our local moderation team?

After these 5 days, we will open a public poll to validate the new list of moderators.

Thanks!

1 Like

I’m not sure why we’re holding this topic in English, and I’m not sure I should participate to it, given my repeated frictions with the current team. @Tordanik’s writing encourages me to “participate in the discussion”.

In my opinion, and with some understatement, moderation here has not been working well. In particular I refer to the repeated cross fires between myself and @mapeadora. From my point of view, a good moderator does not engage in firing on members, but tries to lower the tones.

Still in my opinion, “moderation” is not just moderation, but it is also housekeeping. For example in the topic 6ta reunión bimestral de OSM Latinoamérica, replies by @AngocA have highlighted that we were going off topic, but he didn’t take the chance to split the topic into more consistent streams of discussion. More specifically, apart from the above mentioned flames, some posts touched the topic “who’s going to lead the next meeting”, and the Reunaton.

One more serious issue I have with the current team of moderators is their commitment to promoting the LATAM community outside this community site, or at least this is my impression if I compare their volume of writing on the several little visible Telegram groups, compared to what happens here.

Concretely, I hope that all little active Latin American local communities converge into this one larger LATAM community, and that one moderator is chosen from each of the local communities. My hint is to choose among the people who’ve been posting most in the old forum site.

Myself, I’d rather not propose myself as moderator, because I know I have been all too often presented as a controversial person. I do not want to start again another discussion on my person. I hope that @ovruni, @johnarupire from Peru or @Wilmer_Osario from Venezuela will come forward, and I do not know the Argentinian nor the Brazilian communities to mention my candidates from those areas.

but must we really hold this discussion in English?

Ok, I prefer to step down from the Latam moderator because it has become a battle field without arguments, especially for a local problem originated in the Panama communities. I prefer to continue my vontunteering in all platforms (including this) promoting the community construction, for Colombia, Latam and the World.

@nukeador Can you remove me from this moderator role? I thank you in advance.

Creo que el post fue escrito en inglés, duplicado de la instrucción brindada desde la publicación original en un mensaje a todos los grupos de moderadores. Por suerte, existe la función de traducción abajo de cada publicación, lo que tampoco limita responder en el idioma preferido.

Como moderador hasta la fecha, me abstendré de contestar a las preguntas establecidas, en vista que a quien le toca opinar es al resto de la comunidad. Solo me limitaré a agregar un par de cosas, a razón de lo ya planteado:

En los siguientes enlaces pueden ver la lista de moderadores actuales de cada comunidad de la región:

En otro ámbito de la discusión, considerando que:

• comparto el sentir de @AngocA;
  • me apego más allá de los criterios de selección de moderadores;
  • asumo un espíritu de apertura y transparencia; y
  • mi estrategia de autocuido,

también dimito de mi rol como moderador a esta comunidad.

Solicito por tanto a @forums-governance no considerarme en el proceso de votación de las candidaturas a moderadores y se me elimine de la actual moderación de esta comunidad, una vez seleccionadas las nuevas personas moderadoras.

2 Likes

and at the old https://forum.osm.org site you can check the most active people from the local communities. some time ago, I kind of remember, I computed some statistics. I’ll link the page here when I find it back.

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-latam/2022-August/001101.html

Respondiendo al llamado hecho en este hilo sobre la poca participación de la comunidad me pronuncio. Estoy de acuerdo con mantener abierto el canal de la comunidad LATAM pero creo que somos capaces de mantener acuerdos mínimos sobre como se da la discusión.

Creo que se deberían organizar las discusiones por hilos, extendiendo las prácticas que ya estaban claras desde las listas de correo. Esto es algo mínimo en lo que debería haber acuerdo. Hay opiniones diferentes, pero como mínimo debe haber consenso en el cómo darlas

Por ejemplo, abrir y usar un hilo aparte para las reflexiones acerca del trabajo vountario y la participación de las corporaciones, ONGs internacionales y su influencia en las comunidades locales.

Un hilo aparte para las reglas de juego, las opiniones sobre el buen o mal desempeño del grupo de moderadores sobre algún tema.

Con eso, los diferentes temas tienen su propio lugar y dinamica, no se hacen comentarios tan extensos y difíciles de trabajar y entender.

Gracias

3 Likes

Buenos días, también renuncio a moderar este espacio debido a los incesantes ataques y mi preferencia para ocupar mi tiempo de voluntariado en acciones que suman, es decir, en el sentido propio que le pongo: acciones que integran.
@nukeador

Esperaré de la nueva moderación que se sepa reconocer los ataques que desincentivan la participación en los espacios de comunicación.

Saludos, bonito fin de año

1 Like