Lamp post EV charge points

How, if at all, are people mapping and tagging lamp post EV charge points? Siemens and Ubitricity offer these charging points, however after reading tag:amenity=charging_station and tag:highway=street_lamp, I couldn’t find any discussion or examples on how to map and tag these.

1 Like

There’s an example here: Node History: ‪suby1100005693‬ (‪9805375936‬) | OpenStreetMap

But I think I basically had the same question, hence the “description” tag.

I think a good way is this combination:

1. node: highway=street_lamp
  2. node: amenity=charging_station + (support=street_furniture:street_lamp or support=street_lamp)

If they are mapped close together, future renderers will know that the charger is on the street lamp.

2 Likes

Is there an issue with tagging the street light and charging station on the same node?

1 Like

There could be some tag conflicts, for example ref=*. You could also have a power pole that has a lamp attached, and a charging station. Then you would have 3 nodes, and all 3 could have their own ref=*.

1 Like

I see, that makes sense.

This situation was targeted by Relations/Proposed/Node - OpenStreetMap Wiki
That being said, another problem is whether individual chargers should be a =charging_station on its own. For comparison, in carparks, =parking_space is used for individual spots, rather than =parking. This have been discussed for fuel pumps at amenity=fuel (relatedly there is a dubious labeling of of =vending_machine + vending=fuel as “gas pump” in iD); and electric sockets which are not =device_charing_station ( power_supply=yes is the attribute of a feature).
For the latter, if power=outlet is accepted, the =charging_station could instead be on the line of poles. Yet another question is whether the =charging_station should be in between (as point) or cover the parking spot (as area) as in other larger charging facilities, and how does it interacts with =parking + parking=street_side.

This is a solution for a charger on a pole, but not for a lamp, because a lamp is usually off-centre from pole.

That’s a valid concern. Years ago, charging stations were rare, and it made sense to treat them like fuel stations. But when the time comes that every pole on a parking lot has a charger, that’s something completely different. We should either create a new tag for a big charging station with superchargers and a shop, or a new tag for each outlet.

I think you don’t need a amenity=charging_station tag for the parking lot, if you use power=outlet. You just add the same operator=* on all of them.