Lake and Peninsula (Borough) and Kenai Peninsula (Borough) in Alaska administrative boundary issues?

In our latest export of administrative boundaries for the U.S., Lake and Peninsula (Borough) and Kenai Peninsula (Borough) in Alaska are missing. I see it them in OSM so the tags must be ok. Is there perhaps an issue with one of the boundary segments and that is why it didn’t appear in our download of admin boundaries?

1 Like

Thanks for the QA checking! Do any of the links from https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/black-hawk-county-iowa-and-monroe-county-ny-seem-to-be-gone/9204 help you investigate what might have gone wrong here? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder if the issue has to do with the shared boundary between these two Boroughs? Way: 193436728
but it looks good to me.

Ok back to this topic. all the other missing counties had to do with tags that were incorrectly changed. But these two seem to have the correct tags. But using Overpass Turbo:
/*
This has been generated by the overpass-turbo wizard.
The original search was:
“admin_level=6 in USA”
*/
[out:csv(::id,“name”)][timeout:25];
// fetch area “USA” to search in
{{geocodeArea:alaska}}->.searchArea;
// gather results
(
relation[“boundary”=“administrative”]“admin_level”=“6”;
);
// print results
out;

gives the following: (no Kenai Peninsula or Lake and Peninsula Borough

@id name
2219688 North Coast Regional District
2605235 Wrangell
2605248 Ketchikan Gateway
2605253 Aleutians East
2605254 Aleutians West Census Area
2605259 Anchorage
2605265 Bristol Bay
2605269 Denali
2605270 Dillingham
2605273 Fairbanks North Star
2605277 Haines
2605281 Juneau
2605284 Kodiak Island
2605288 Lake and Peninsula
2605292 Matanuska-Susitna
2605295 Nome
2605296 North Slope
2605297 Northwest Arctic
2605308 Petersburg Borough
2605309 Sitka
2605310 Skagway
2605315 Copper River
2605316 Kusilvak Census Area
2605317 Yakutat
2605325 Kenai Peninsula
7939736 Unorganized Borough
8309397 Inuvialuit Settlement Region
13479303 Chugach
1 Like

FYI putting your Overpass query in code blocks (by surrounding it with triple backticks) will force a monospaced font and preserve its text formatting, making it easier to read the code. I’ve trimmed the text in your post to show an example:

But using Overpass Turbo:
```
[out:csv(::id,“name”)][timeout:25];
// fetch area “USA” to search in
{{geocodeArea:alaska}}->.searchArea;
```
Gives the following:

I do see both, if I’m not dreaming. I marked them bold.

Cannot confirm. The query

[out:json][timeout:25];
// fetch area “Alaska” to search in
{{geocodeArea:Alaska}}->.searchArea;
// gather results
(
  // query part for: “boundary=administrative and admin_level=6”
  node["boundary"="administrative"]["admin_level"="6"](area.searchArea);
  way["boundary"="administrative"]["admin_level"="6"](area.searchArea);
  relation["boundary"="administrative"]["admin_level"="6"](area.searchArea);
);
// print results
out body;
>;
out skel qt;

includes both relations:

sorry, you are correct they are there. not sure why I didn’t see those 2.

You’re not the first and you won’t be the last who experienced such a thing. Welcome in the club. :slightly_smiling_face:

Ok, I think I see what the issue is. In a couple of small spots, The boundaries for these two counties, are outside the boundaries for Alaska. Over a couple of ocean areas. In the case of Kenai Peninsula, there is an area in the Cook Inlet that is not included within Alaska but is included in Kenai Peninsula which is an impossibility. Am I seeing this right? Ditto for Lake and Peninsula extending too far into the ocean.

well here is one of the two Ways that make up the boundary of Lake and Peninsula that needs fixing: Way: 193436727 | OpenStreetMap the other is: Way: 193436726 | OpenStreetMap

I was hoping there was a way to edit it by just dragging on the line, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Is the only way to edit the nodes (with updated lat/lon coordinates) that comprise the way ? delete some and edit a few. I don’t see any way to do that either…

1 Like

well, I discovered I can drag the boundary line, but only by zooming in very very close which will make this a very tedious effort.

Re “a county in Alaska whose boundaries are outside Alaska”, I know nothing about Alaska, but geographical oddities like that do exist in other places in the world.

Bristol, in England, contains part of Wales. That was discussed here (the problem area is highlighted in in picture in that thread) and previous in this thread.