Java Mobile Phone navigation system development - looking for testers

I guess the Benq S88 has a jar-size limit ? I’m investigating the possibilities for a file based version to get around this problem

Thanks for the explanation, I didn’t look at VGPS closely enough to see it needed money for their maps. My bad. Although VGPS isn’t active on the forum I do seem to remember seeing some things come by either through the mailinglists or wiki.

BTW I hope you don’t mind that I mirrored the Dutch release when your site went down because of publication on Tweakers.net and Nu.nl. At the moment it has clocked around 230 downloads from http://www.openstreetmap.nl

Some operators disable file access profile that Java has, but many don’t so it will work. But if you need testing I can try to find out what the Exception is from a phone that lacks this… E.g. the operator “3” which I think is paneuropean.

After a long quest I found a way to have we-travel running on my alderly PDA with Windows PocketPC 2003:

You need a Java Virtual Machine on a PDA. The only one that works for now is phoneME (http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~davy/phoneme/)

I had to choose the version phoneME Feature - MIDP rev15383 → save cab-file to storage card → install

Then choose the app under /phoneme/midp/bin/arm/runmidlet → Install application → Menu → Storage → and then type in the path to wetravel.jar on the storage card (why is there no dialog to choose a jar-file ??)

Can anyone confirm this step-by-step way?

Pending tasks are connecting the GPS-Device to the Java VM, and importing the map for Germany.

Any further hints or questions? Greets, Stephan

This is a really good project. It’s very useful specially when travelling.

First I Appreciate for ur project, i am living in UAE (United Arab Emirates) and i got a uploaded map and atlas for uae, but unfortunately the quality of Maps is not good. i cant see most of the places and cant load map if i am zooming. Can u please generate for me, latest and quality maps and atlas (with maximum zoom level) for uae. if u will do that, it will very helpful for me, please…

i will wait ur reply

thank u

Hi all, bit of random late posting. Is there anyone still having the app and the offline maps? Thank you. :slight_smile: