Italy subcategory

Category name

Italia (Italy)

Is this a top-level category or a subcategory?

Subcategory of “Communities” main category

Description of its purpose and which open mapping groups it will serve

The main purpose is to have category where new users and old users can discuss topics about Italian mapping standards and make proposals while speaking their native language

Why is this new category needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

None of the other categories are italian-language based

Is this a new space or does it already exist on other platforms? Where?

There’s a specific category in the old forum (users: Italy / OpenStreetMap Forum)

Current volume of messages on the former platforms, if any (per week/per month)

The former platform was a low volume platform (I think 2 posts per month in the last few months), but we are evaluating a full Mail list migration in the future

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

It should be part of the OSM Forum migration

List the usernames of the category moderators

@Mannivu main proposer of the category
@alesarrett proposed itself on the Italian ML
@dieterdreist proposed itself on the Italian ML, knows very well how the new forum works

Unfortunately, we didn’t have any moderators on the old forum. However, the proposed moderators have experience in moderating a forum and have the trust of the Italian community.

6 Likes

Thanks for the request.

While we wait for the proposed moderators to comment here they are OK with the role, it would be great if you could edit the initial message adding a brief description on why each moderator was proposed. This is asked as part of the process to provide transparency and allow a community conversation to happen here.

Thanks again!

1 Like

@Mannivu Just because I’m interested as a northern neighbor of Italy: will you communicate here more in Italian or more in English?

1 Like

The community scope is to have an Italian based community (as it was on forum.openstreetmap.org), since its easier explain questions and doubts in our native language. Nevertheless, if there’s a topic in English, we (maybe not everyone, but most of us) can answer in that language.

4 Likes

Hi, in the discussion in the talk-it mailing list I simply expressed my availability to help in this newly-proposed community. I’m not fully aware of rules or best practices in selecting moderators, so it was a self-proposal without any specific solid ground behind… Anyway I’m quite an experienced OSM contributor and active on various Italian communication channels (talk-it ML, Telegram), co-managing an Italian OSM Facebook page. During 2020-2021 I was the national Italian coordinator of OpenStreetMap for Wikimedia Italia. Not that this makes me a particularly suitable person to act as a moderator for this community, but just to give a little context.

4 Likes

Hello,

I would like to share here that a criteria for selecting new moderators has been recently approved:

There are just three changes that affect the current request:

• Please review that all proposed mods fulfill the basic requirements to be a moderator.
  • At least 5 days of community discussion need to take place once all the proposed mods have commented accepting here.
  • A poll voting will be created after this discussion to allow the community to validate the final list.

Please, let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks!

I confirm that I am available as a moderator for the italian section

2 Likes

Thanks,

My understanding is that now there are 3 proposed mods: @Mannivu @alesarrett and @dieterdreist

As per the current Moderation Selection Criteria now the community has 5 days to discuss about this proposal.

After that a voting poll will be opened for another 5 days to validate the list.

Cheers.

In the meantime, I created a logo for the category File:Logo OSM Italy Flag.svg - Wikimedia Commons

2 Likes

Looks great, thank you!
What do you think, maybe we could also have the binary numbers on the magnifier? (from the international logo)

1 Like

Sure, I’ve added them

1 Like

Hello again everyone,

Five days have passed for the community discussion so now a voting poll is opened for another five days to validate the final list.

The list will be validated if it gets at least 80% of yes votes. Note that votes (who voted what) are public to help identify any abuses.

Thanks!

Do you approve @Mannivu @alesarrett and @dieterdreist to be category moderators for the “Italy” category?
  • Yes I approve
  • No, I don’t approve (please comment below)

0 voters

4 Likes

The #communities:it category is now created and the approved moderators have been added to the group.

Please make sure you request an update to the OSM Community Index to include this new channel for your community and remove any former/inactive one.

Also, please make sure you edit the “About community category” topic to include a link to OSM Etiquette in your language, you can provide a translation if needed on the wiki.

Thanks!

1 Like