Is there a need for a tagging-only space?

Is both general discussions and help & support happening together on the tagging mailing list or just support?

Was verstehst Du unter “general discussion” und “support” in Bezug auf tagging? Ich kenne die tagging-mailing-list nicht, aber was ich aus Diskussionen aus dem bisherigen deutschen Forum über Tagging kenne, ist immer auch in irgendeiner Weise support. Von daher mein Vorschlag, dies als Subkategorie zu #help-and-support zu sehen

For example see Topics tagged tagging over #general, they are not support questions, but general discussions about tagging.

It’s both “how to tag X” and also more general discussions about tagging, rendering, and which things below in OSM and which don’t. Here’s the topics this month so far:

65 Feature Proposal - RFC - highway=scramble
24 Layers (was Eruvs etc.)
22 RFC: Removal of Eruvs from OSM, and further boundry=religious
14 Feature Proposal - RFC - migration to use belarusian as default language in Belarus for tagging
12 Feature Proposal - RFC - Require proposal announcements to be made on the new forum instead of the mailing list
11 parking conditions on separately mapped parking areas / harmonise access and parking:condition tags
11 Is tracktype=grade1 surface=compacted a valid combination?
10 incline=up_and_down
7 Literal translation of street names
7 Concrete vs concrete:plates should we simplify?
6 Motorcycle taxis, pedicabs
6 Feature Proposal - RFC - site_type=defensive_settlement
6 Feature Proposal - RFC - Move proposal voting from wiki to the new forum
6 addr:town
5 Layers
4 Use of crossing:island where crossings and islands are mapped separately
4 Is it man_made=water_tap?
4 Feature Proposal - RFC - Training
3 workflow or ergonomic problem (was: RFC: Removal of Eruvs from OSM, and further boundry=religious)
3 Feature Proposal - RFC - settlement_type=crannog

Then a top level category might make sense here.

If there is a group of people who is willing to oversee and moderate a space like this, I would recommend to create a new category request over #site-feedback:new-category-requests

Happy to support with the transition of existing messages or any additional configuration.

Cheers.

I think it would be great to get some input from @Richard as he is currently admin of the tagging mailing list.

Ich fragte Dich, worin Du den Unterschied siehst?

Nun denn, recht vielen Beiträgen in General talk haben als Schlagwort tagging, aber in den Beiträgen geht es nicht um ein konkretes tagging, sondern um Verfahren: wie und wo dikutieren wir, wie und wo stimmen wir ab … Solche Beiträge sind natürlich General talk

Es muss letztendlich darum gehen, das Forum übersichtlich zu halten. Einerseits gute und aussagekräftige Kategorien, damit nicht zu viele Postings in einer Kategorie durcheinander sind, andererseits nicht zu viele Kategorien, um die Struktur übersichtlich zu halten.

Und manchmal sind die Grenzen fließend zwischen verschiedenen Kategorien und auch verschiedenen Themen innerhalb eines Beitragsfadens. Ich persönlich empfinde es eher als störend und verwirrend, wenn zu früh, zu restriktiv und zu oft Themen gesplittet und/oder verschoben werden.

Aber ja - die Balance zu finden ist eine schwierige Aufgabe.

Please no. Keeping a Q & A section or site under control and useful, requires not allowing discussion (and particularly not on tagging) and following a, big surprise, Q&A format. Or if you are more familiar with it, stackoverflow-like rules.

2 Likes

indeed, “tagging” can be a lot of different things, people asking how to tag A where the tags are already well established, are the kind of questions for “help”, while those areas where there are problems with the established tags or no tags are established for A, are those that are typically discussed on the tagging ML, and these do not belong into the “help” section.

I think @SomeoneElse has hit the nail on the head: we set up the tagging@ list so that it didn’t overwhelm the discussion on talk@, and I suspect that could happen here too.

There are two main (related) types of discussion on the tagging@ list. One is “how do I tag x?”, and the other is “I’m writing to tell you about a new tag I’m proposing on the wiki”. It might be worthwhile splitting them into two topics here - maybe “tagging-help” and “new-tags” or something like that.

1 Like

I believe tagging is big enough area to have its own space here.

1 Like

@Richard would you and other two people willing to help monitor and moderate a tagging category here?

The volume of #tagging topics in #general has already reached a point were it’s a majority and I think it’s time for its own space.

Thanks!

1 Like

Would this tagging category be geared towards discussions (like #general) or towards answering questions (like #help-and-support)?

If the tagging list is anything to go by, mostly discussions.

1 Like

Thanks, but I don’t really find Discourse comfortable enough to volunteer for that.

Is there someone else you would recommend to support this?

Reading through all comment and since we are talking about an English-speaking space where the current volume of topics is already high, I propose:

• To create a Tagging subcategory to the #general category to host any tagging conversations, discussions, RFC…
  • To create a Tagging subcategory to the #help-and-support to host only questions or request for help using/managing tags.

This is to avoid splitting the help and support in English into other categories people might not find, and to be able to enable the solved plugin in this subcategory (that won’t be possible with a single category for everything).

Ideally 3 people should volunteer to moderate these tagging spaces, but since right now they rely on English-speaking global moderators we don’t need to block the creation because it’s already happening this way.

Identifying the most active people in these categories to propose them for moderator roles in the future would be a highly recommended.

1 Like

Sounds like a good proposal. Let’s see how this works out.

I’d like to suggest two different (Discourse-forum-)tags for questions like “how to tag”, i.e. use of existing (OSM-)tags and discussion about new tagging ideas which don’t yet fit into the proposal or rfc categories. “how-to-tag” and “tagging” would be my suggestions.

I’m happy to put my hand up as a potential moderator.

I am active on both the tagging mailing list, talk-au mailing list and discord channel.

1 Like

Now we have two new subcategories

Both have new topics by email enabled.

Cheers.

8 Likes