Is it useful to add the identification code of hiking signs?

In Switzerland we have an identification code on the signs on hicking racks. If I recall correctly, the region Zürich provide additional online information based on this code.

Is it useful to add the identification code on OSM?

1 Like

For the discussion it would be good to see a photo of such a sign on a hicking rack and an example of the additional online information.

If something is useful is always hard to say as that is looking in the future. For sure something is more useful is it is more completely mapped, i.e. 80% of the identification code on the signs on hicking racks mapped is better then a few, but to get 80% you always have to start with a few.

1 Like

Here an example of such a sign with an idenfitication code.

1 Like

Mir fällt kein guter Anwendungszweck ein außer um zum Beispiel einen Schaden am Schild melden zu können. Und das ist nicht soo sinnvoll denn hoffentlich kann das Amt auch etwas mit Geokoordinaten anfangen.

In Austria, the official signposts also have a reference number. This is also stored in the Open Government Data.

The deposit at the OSM object, has for me the advantage to see which has already been recorded. This is especially relevant when there are several signposts in a small area.

2 Likes

As additional information, the only use I’ve seen is when the city provides an online document based on the identification number, for example:

And by the way, some signs can be really complex, so it can be always useful to have an online version :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bei verfügbarer Identifikationsnummer ist es jedenfalls sinnvoll diese beim Wegweiser-Node einzutragen. Wenn später Unklarheiten auftreten (z.B. Verwechslungen, Tippfehler, falsche Position,…) kann mit dieser Nummer wesentlich einfacher ermittelt werden, welcher Wegweiser gemeint ist.

Im source-Tag könnte man auch noch das zugehörige PDF verlinken.

2 Likes

Ich würde eher das Tag website nehmen, weil man anhand des source-Tags nicht erkennen kann, für was das PDF die source ist. Es gilt ja nur für die ID und nicht für den gesamten POI.

Im obigen Beispiel-PDF sind sehr detaillierte Infos zum Wegweiser enthalten - z.B. ID’s, Beschriftungen, Koordinaten, Höhenangaben und auch Fotos. Als source für den gesamten POI ist das, denke ich, sehr gut geeignet. Und falls es mehrere Quellen gibt, können diese auch, durch “;” getrennt, eingetragen werden.

edit: Der website Tag wird eher für die offizielle Website eines Features verwendet.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Key:website

Die source gehört als Tag an das Changeset, nicht an das Objekt. website wäre nur ein Kompromiss gewesen. JOSMs Validator empfiehlt auch immer die source von Objekten zu entfernen. Sie gehört an das Changeset.

Indeed, the identification code should not be tagged with the source key but instead in the ref key.

2 Likes

for guideposts the ref sometimes has the numbers of the route (maybe this is just a local phenomenon, but it is what I see)
the docs say to put the post number in ref:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:information%3Dguidepost

it is also consistent, what is not consistent is actual use :melting_face: