Is it a wayside_shrine or a wayside_cross?

I’m always facing a dilemma with these mini crosses etc. in display cases (or whatever these are called).

Example 1: here my first thought would be ‘mini wayside shrine’ because there’s not only a cross but also a figurine of Virgin Mary among other stuff in a display case. But I’m not sure.

Example 2: here I’d perhaps lean towards tagging it as a wayside cross, but then again…not sure because of the wooden box/case…?

Example 3: again, another example of a cross but in a display case…so does this make it a mini shrine, or just a mini wayside cross??

Thoughts?

Hi,

They are wayside crosses. This type of crosses sometimes have a space (niche, aedicule) where other images are placed next to or under the cross.

They are wayside crosses. This type of crosses sometimes have a space (niche, aedicule) where other images are placed next to or under the cross.

they are wayside shrines. This type of shrines have a cross in the shrine where other images are placed next to or under the cross. :wink:

1 Like

This is an example of the crosses I am referring to. Examples of wayside crosses with a space (niche, aedicule) can be very varied, so I did not consider it appropriate to focus on a particular example.

When the most relevant thing in the object is the cross, I do not consider it appropriate to consider it a wayside shrine. In cases where the cross is the most relevant, they should be considered wayside crosses.

I think it is a shrine with a cross on top, it is common for shrines to have crosses. It could be tagged as a property of the shrine or on its own on top of it.

I use cross when it is just a cross, maybe covered by a roof, but if there is a shrine I tag it like this because it is the distinction that is established.

I would always describe these as shrines, I would expect a wayside cross to be identifiable as such from tens of metres away.

That makes sense to me.

Your example there is a typical example of a column shrine, as far as I know. Definitely wouldn’t tag it as a wayside cross.

1 Like

Would you also consider the below shrines as wayside crosses just because they have a cross inside?

To me these would rather qualify as wayside shrines because they are in fact buildings (with a cross inside), so it would make sense to call them shrines as far as I’m concerned. But I could be wrong.

Now, the question is, do we apply the same logic with those mini display cases as per my original post?

Yeah, there’s no doubt in such examples - definitely wayside crosses.

But then see below some more examples, which again cast a shadow of doubt on the whole situation. It seems in these examples a wayside CROSS tag would still be more appropriate, no?

The example is a type of wayside cross (in Spanish: “cruz de camino”, “crucero” or “cruz de término”) called “pairón” o “peirón” in Spain. 1

1 Like

I have only commented on my own thoughts and I am reading the thoughts of others to better understand the dilemma. That’s why I said that what @SK53 commented also makes sense to me.

That the main object is a cross seems significant to me. That it is a cross visible at some distance also seems to me something to consider.

1 Like

I feel there should be a distinction between attached to a pole and something that is effectively a small building.

The first can be as simple a post in the shape of cross or other symbol driven into the ground. A tree with shadow box or larger container filled with iconography attached to it. Or some combination of both. In any case it would be lightweight and easily moved after a simple disassembly in the case a natural

This radically different from the more permanent roadside structures. These are often larger but substantial structures made of regular building materials. In some cases they even include substantial landscaping. This type shrine would take planning and possibly heavy machinery to safely move.

what about a small building on a column?

agree to cross here. And capacity=2 :wink:
maybe you could tag additionally a shrine

also agree to cross for the others in this post

I’d accept the first as either cross or shrine.

I would call all your others shrines, but this may help explicate something about the issue. I would describe all of these as crucifixes not crosses, so shrines containing a crucifix. It is quite likely that such a distinction does not exist in other languages, or that it is not as clear cut.

In the UK crosses are largely unadorned and largely take the form of remaining Celtic crosses or market/mercat crosses. Large crosses with a crucifex are really quite rare, although they do exist.

I think the “recognisable at a distance” with or without a crucified image of Jesus Christ, is a workable definition. Note many mercat crosses dont seem to have a cross-arm, complicating matters a bit.

1 Like

I would tag the image as:

Shrine is a wood box mounted on a wooden post. The post looks like it is a wood railroad tie. An horizontal member was added to form cross shape use main post.

My first try at tagging the photo.
cabinet=wayside_shrine
religion=christianity
contents=cloth; holy_symbol
cloth:color=white
support:material=wood
support:symbology=cross

1 Like

+1
I agree. It’s a shrine because it’s a house but it’s definitely about the cross.
Personaly I would tag it a shrine. Maybe it’s best to ask a local how they feel about it.

I’m confused. There is no house, the object of worship is a wooden box with religious items inside.

It’s a tinyhouse. It even has a roof.