Is it a drinking fountain or not?

well, that is my main point: tagging function of this structures is useful (amenity=drinking_water), tagging some well specified detail is useful, but trying to tag them as “water fountains” will not work well.

1 Like

works for me

btw., here are some drinking fountains I found today, I also saw many people drinking from them

just a metal tube coming out of the retaining wall at the market in Trastevere, which is a modern urban site (what I intend to say, it is the interpretation of a contemporary architect of the classic nasone, although I would not tag it as such because it has arrived too far from the departure).

this one actually qualifies for amenity=fountain I think, the purpose is also drinking. Had to wait quite a bit for the photo because there was a guy who had stopped his car and was filling several bottles

this one also, although it is almost impossible to drink without a glass, you’ll have to use your hands. This one is a utility I think, but is quite old, the upper one is decorative (maybe commemorative as well?)

What would appear to be a rather simple subject in glancing over the wiki I seem more confused than ever. But in the pictures you give, when looking at the physical water tap (plumbing fixture), I don’t see why is is necessary to have man_made=drinking_fountain, when the combination tagging of man_made=water_tap and amenity=drinking_water seems more intuituve. I’m not sure if this is a strict principle on OSM, but there shouldn’t be two values of the same key which have nearly identical meaning.

3 Likes

Actually I don’t use man_made=drinking_fountain at all, what I use is the fountain key.
In none of the pictures I posted there is a tap, the water is just running 24/7

1 Like

Actually me neither.

Me too.

That’s the same as @dieterdreist showed but in Vienna, Austria. Public available drinking water (with a kind of a tap) and I think something for dogs on the ground.

Image is from myself, will maybe upload it to Wikimedia these days.

1 Like

Hier weiteres Bild eines Brunnens der Trinkwasser liefert. Gefunden in Tschechien:

Es funktioniert indem der federbelastete Hebel betätigt wird, schließen funktioniert dadurch automatisch. Mechanisch sehr robuste Konstruktion.

Das Bild kann gerne weiterverwendet werden.

In Slowenien werden die meisten solcher Anlagen ebenfalls als als amenity=drinking_water eingetragen, hier würde man_made=water_tab + drinking_water=yes ebenfalls passen.
Das Bild ist ebenfalls von mir und kann gerne weiterverwendet werden.

Das Bild ist ebenfalls von mir und kann gerne weiterverwendet werden.

die Bilder kann man auch direkt in OpenStreetMap taggen mit image oder wikimedia_commons

Sorry @dieterdreist , I was looking at the images in the original post but I agree if the flow of water is continuous it is a fountain.

I still don’t think man_made=drinking_fountain is distinct enough or clearly defined and cannot be described by using man_made=water_tap or fountain=*

The intro to the wiki page on osm wiki is almost directly a copy and paste from the Wikipedia page. While not a bad practice, the user is reading the OSM wiki for a terse description of how the tag should be used in the context of OSM.

wieviel Wasser kommt da raus? Wenn es ein dicker Strahl ist kann man wirklich nur Behälter füllen oder sich komplett nass machen, dann würde ich es nicht als Trinkbrunnen taggen. amenity=drinking_water und man_made=water_tap passt aber schon

Na ja es läuft schon etwas mehr Wasser heraus, aus den Händen trinken klappte aber ganz gut.

1 Like

We in Zagreb, Croatia have a similar design. The one on the photo was painted, but they were usually dark green, like the Vienna ones. The tags we use are:

amenity=drinking_water + fountain=viktorija_zdenac

You press the handle, and the water comes out, with a pretty strong stream. You can’t drink from them and look dignified at the same time, but people do. Much better for filling up bottles. They were usually built for people to fill up buckets while there was no running water in some suburbs.

1 Like

I started Proposed features/Deprecate man made=drinking fountain - OpenStreetMap Wiki vote

2 Likes

IMG_20221101_131737_306
Dieses Modell in Tschechien wird vermutlich aus dem selben Zweck gebaut worden sein, um Kanister zu füllen. Man dreht den Knauf eine Viertel Umdrehungen und es läuft Wasser.

The tags we use are:

amenity=drinking_water + fountain=viktorija_zdenac

great, I have added it to the list on the fountain key page.

4 Likes