India subcategory

Category name

India

Is this a top-level category or a subcategory?

Subcategory, below the Communities section.

Description of its purpose and which open mapping groups it will serve

To discuss topics related to OSM in India, both for the local community in India and the international OSM community

Why is this new category needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

The old users:India forum is in read-only mode. Most local community discussions happen on Telegram and Matrix, but these platforms don’t work well for long-term discussions and they require an extra account to access.

Is this a new space or does it already exist on other platforms? Where?

Migration of users:India

Current volume of messages on the former platforms, if any (per week/per month)

The main OSM India Telegram/Matrix group averages a 100 messages per week. Other regional groups, including OSM Kerala and OSM Bengaluru, have their own separate Telegram/Matrix groups. users:India would normally get under a dozen messages per month, but the local community in India has grown a lot since the time the users:India forum went inactive.

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

The new Subcategory will complement the existing Telegram/Matrix groups and will not replace them.

(Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines

List the usernames of the category moderators

@sahilister (osm) - nominated by NLBRT and confirmed by sahilister. Moderator on the OSM India Matrix room, OSM contributor for over 3 years and co-organizer of mapping parties in Delhi.

@muzirian (osm) - volunteered to be a moderator. Moderator on the OSM India and OSM Kerala Telegram groups, OSM contributor for close to 10 years.

@NLBRT (osm) - volunteered to be a moderator. OSM contributor for 10 months, very active in the OSM India community discussions on Telegram/Matrix and documenting India-specific topics on the OSM Wiki.

@contrapunctus (osm) - nominated by NLBRT and confirmed by contrapunctus. OSM contributor for 7 years, nominee for the Greatness in Mapping Award, 2020, co-organizer of mapping parties in Delhi and creator of the Obsessed with OSM videos.

@reueld (osm) - volunteered to be a moderator. Moderator on the OSM Bengaluru Telegram group, OSM contributor for over 3 years and co-organizer of mapping parties in Bengaluru.

Anyone else who would like to volunteer as a moderator, or suggest names of users who could be moderators, is welcome to reply on this thread. Keep in mind the Moderator selection criteria.

4 Likes

I think @contrapunctus and @sahilister are great potential candidates for moderators.

I can volunteer to be the third moderator, but I reckon I don’t meet the criteria to be one. [First Requirement as explained in here - Moderator selection criteria]

1 Like

Thanks @NLBRT for the suggesting.

@Vonter , I would like to become one of the moderator for India subcategory.

2 Likes

I can also volunteer to moderate.
@Vonter cant you would be volunteering for this right?

2 Likes

In case there’s a need for an additional moderator, I’d be up for volunteering. Otherwise, if there’s a good number of nominated/volunteer moderators already, I will probably not add myself to the list.

1 Like

I personally think you’ve been active for long enough to be a moderator. Besides, your interest in creating an India subcategory during the recent discussion on the Telegram/Matrix group is one of the key reasons I made this subcategory creation request :smile:

1 Like

Thank you for suggesting my name.

While I’m concerned about being able to keep up beyond a certain volume of posts, I expect I should be able to complement the efforts of @sahilister, @NLBRT, @Vonter, and @muzirian.

3 Likes

Great moderators so far! If you need more help with moderating, I’m happy to volunteer.

2 Likes

Thanks for the request.

While we wait for the proposed moderators to comment here they are OK with the role, it would be great if you could edit the initial message adding a brief description on why each moderator was proposed. This is asked as part of the process to provide transparency and allow a community conversation to happen here.

As per the current Moderation Selection Criteria note that for the list of moderators to be approved, 5 days of community discussion will need to take place here (always including weekend days) and then a voting poll to validate the list by the community will be open for another 5 days too.

Please ping us again when you have decided the final list of proposed moderators.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

@nukeador We’ve decided on the final list of proposed moderators. The initial message has been updated with the list and a brief description of each of the 5 proposed moderators.

1 Like

Great thanks, let’s give a few more days for community discussion and I’ll open a voting poll early next week.

3 Likes

Hello again everyone,

Five days have passed for the community discussion so now a voting poll is opened for another five days to validate the final list.

The list will be validated if it gets at least 80% of yes votes. Note that votes (who voted what) are public to help identify any abuses.

Thanks!

Do you approve @sahilister, @muzirian, @NLBRT, @contrapunctus and @reueld to be category moderators for the “India” category?
  • Yes I approve
  • No, I don’t approve (please comment below)
0 voters
5 Likes

I approve NLBRT, contrapunctus and sahilster for moderators. Others I don’t know much of… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That’s. A. Landslide. Thanks to everyone who has faith in us and approve of us as Moderators for the subcategory!

The India category is now created, topics from the old forums have been moved and the approved moderators have been added to the group.

Please make sure you request an update to the OSM Community Index to include this new channel for your community and remove any former/inactive one.

Also, please make sure you edit the “About community category” topic to include a link to OSM Etiquette in your language, you can provide a translation if needed on the wiki.

Thanks!

3 Likes