Including the UK 'Quiet Lanes' in OpenStreetMap

Hi Andy,

Just to let you know that all of the Suffolk Quiet Lanes are now tagged with designation=“quiet_lane”.

Michael’s overpass search now highlights them all nicely.

Many thanks for your help with this.

I’m continuing to see if I can make them visible in route planning applications like Komoot, Open Cycle Map and others. Here Maps have included them in their basemnap so that SatNav’s will be aware of them, and this is potentially extremely useful for autonomous vehicle navigation.

BR

Chris

2 Likes

See all of them here:

Chris

1 Like

I’ve created a Wiki page to document this usage. Hopefully my understanding of a quiet lane is correct. Please feel free to improve!

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:designation%3Dquiet_lane

1 Like

cycle.travel will now give them a small uplift for routing, though I don’t have any plans to render them differently.

3 Likes

This is actually something I was going to raise on the Wiki talk page. It might be useful for routers to give small bonuses for routing of pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders (as you have indicated Richard) whilst also applying a small penalty to motor vehicles.

Thanks for that - the only nit I’d pick would be that most quiet lanes in England are unclassified or even track in OSM terms.

There are exceptions - here is a tertiary one in Derbyshire, see rendering here.

1 Like

Thanks - updated.

1 Like

Thanks Richard - this is brilliant news!

Thanks Casey_boy!

Casey-boy, might also be worth including the new part of the highway code (rule 218) that is specific to quiet lanes and home zones, in the Wiki.

1 Like

Done! Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like