Improving the Wiki documentation of barrier=kerb and kerb=*

I agree that once you know the “parent” way, you should be able to make use of :left and :right.

unless it is split at this point…

I don’t understand why some mappers insist on adding direction dependent tags on nodes which inherently cannot have a relation. Guessing which way these tags should apply to may work in a majority of cases, still it always remains ambiguous and guesswork.

2 Likes

I think we all agree that the crossing way and crossing node semantically represent the same concept. But I think @skyper was referring to a “parent way” in terms of the raw data model, not semantically. Every way is composed of multiple nodes; the way is the parent of these child nodes, regardless of the tags on the way or the tags on the nodes.

For software to distinguish one of the intersection node’s parent ways as the more relevant parent for suffixes such as *:left and *:right, it would need to special-case certain tags. This is probably abnormal among common OSM tagging schemes; normally directional suffixes don’t change meaning depending on which parent element you evaluate them on.

Sorry about that, a pedestrian scramble is a signalized crossing where pedestrians are supposed to cross diagonally across the intersection during a dedicated signal phase. Here’s a video of it in action:

And here’s a pedestrian scramble intersection with kerb=raised on either end of the diagonal crosswalks but kerb=lowered on either end of the non-diagonal crosswalks:

In a word, yes. OSM doesn’t exist in a vacuum. We shouldn’t bend over backwards to accommodate a single data consumer or even a single kind of data consumer, but what you’re actually questioning is OSM’s basic data model, which every data consumer relies on. A node is a node; even if it represents the same thing as a way, it has the same constraints as any other node, including ambiguity about what “left” and “right” would mean. There are efforts to reimagine the data model, but a lot of consideration has to go into it, and not only for a specific tagging need that has more compatible alternatives.

I’ll admit this is an open question, also for a knuckle-shaped highway=turning_circle that’s only on one side of the road. Should I really kink the road to one side at this turning circle?

What if the protrusion is more extreme?

Ultimately a node can only be stretched so far before a new way starts to look attractive:

2 Likes

If it was for me, I wouldn’t map kerb or tactile paving on a highway=crossing-node at all, but as long as there are non-separately-mapped footways in OSM, there will be the need to somehow tag this. Unless we agree that kerb=* and tactile_paving shouldn’t be on a highway=crossing that is a member of more than 1 way, what else would be suggested?

Yes, tactile_paving:SW=yes, tactile_paving:NE=no and similar could be a solution. For sure the meaning of the direction needs to be defined.
kerb:S=lowered would even solve situations where the crossing road and not the crossing footway or path have kerbs.

Yes, in the section I was writing about software and “parent way” in the terms of the raw data model.

Exactly, if we get to a point where the tagging schema depends on parent objects, gets too demanding on editor software, does not work on all cases and still can be ambiguous, we might have to rethink the tagging.

Oh, sorry, I was wrong about the support but:

Here we go. First thought would be to filter by highway=* but we cannot be 100% sure that the kerb belongs to the lower class and should only be swapped changing the direction of the highway with the higher class.
By the way, JOSM does not check keys of the parent way to offer the swap.

Yeah, which even could lead to a cascade of changing the ways’ directions of connected ways which might not be loaded at all.

:point_up_2: :heart: