Import tags from OSM Help

“explicit” doesn’t mean “obvious from the context for all insiders”. My brain is still sore from all the implicit notions I has to investigate a year ago when joining the community

My suggestion would be to remove all those tags from help osm, which are no longer in current use much or even outdated. Help OSM has been around for quite some time, and looking at how frequent a tag is being used is only telling half the story. To name one example, “potlatch2” would seem like a tag we don’t need anymore.

Overall, I would also recommend to make the list much shorter, and wait for a new tagging to evolve on this site. We don’t want new users to be drowned with tags, which don’t make much sense to them. Even when using 50 as a threshold, the list of “Most Significant Tags” stills feels much too long to me.

We also might need to look into tag groups, and define tags specifically for the Help section in DIscourse.

2 Likes

@TZorn I like the approach @mmd suggested. We can keep the list you curated a bit shorter and once more people starts using this forums we can decide if we need to import or people have already started to populate tags here organically based on the new help topics created.

In the past months we had a few help and support topics using tags.

How does the organic list of tags used look like so far?

https://community.openstreetmap.org/tags