How to tag *unusable* sidewalks?

So, after reading all suggestions, my current best match is:

highway=residential
sidewalk=no
disused:sidewalk=both
note=sidewalk not usable for pedestrians as it is 24/7 full of illegally parked cars
  • highway=residential is self-explanatory I hope
  • sidewalk=no - there is no actual sidewalk that pedestrians may use. It solves the main issue of routing (why we tag sidewalk=* at all) and It should also help with iD editor and others that hide less popular tags from mappers not to make catastrophic changes.
  • disused:sidewalk=both (or =left or =right) - makes it known in no uncertian terms that there is however existing physical infrastructure made for sidewalk, but it is not currently usable. It may easily become usable in the future (as it is disused, and not abandoned or worse). This should clearly define the physical state and appease users who are against just pure sidewalk=no as partially technically incorrect.
  • note=sidewalk not usable for pedestrians as it is 24/7 full of illegally parked cars (or other text - it might be blocked with waste disposal containers / recycle bins or other things) - this is human readable explanation which would hopefully be shown to mappers in various editors which should hopefully make them more careful not to damage existing mapped state (I’ve checked and iD at least shows it, as do JOSM and Vespucci). Also existence of note key might be checked programmatically by some editors like StreetComplete and potentially damaging quests might be skipped if it exists (as most roads will not have note text).
5 Likes