How to tag dog house?

You know small wooden house in the yard where dog lives.

I would start with building=yes + dog=yes. Those seem about as straightforward as needed for such a tiny structure: tiny tagging, no more, no less than is necessary and sufficient. I mean, 1 or 2 square meters at most? Unless you are a lavishly-spoiled dog, and I know some!

It’s pretty neat that OSM can do this, too!

dog=yes means dog are allowed in object, not object is made specific for dogs.

Practical need is to, for example, make people aware that there is a dog.

dog=yes just means one can bring dog there.

1 Like

Well, all you say is true, all I say is true. So we are at least part way there. How do we improve this?

I guess, better way to tag would be using building=yes + amenity=dog but it seems that is not valid value for amenity tag.

Yeah, amenity=* is already quite overloaded and I don’t think is appropriate here.

2 Likes

Someone asked on the talk page for the barn tag once about using it on chicken coops. It doesn’t seem like the conversation went anywhere though and I guess there’s like 1,740 uses of building=chicken_coop in the meantime. So you could maybe look into creating a barn/shed sub-tagging scheme for animal shelters. Or if not, there’s like 4 uses of building=dog_house. Really, I’m kind of surprised there isn’t already a sub tagging scheme for animal shelters or at least types of barns. Maybe there is and I just missed it though.

I mean, it could be quite appropriate to coin a new tag here, like building=dog_house, and wiki-document it after pinning one into our map data.

1 Like

building=dog_house seems possible way too, but that is also not existing value for the building tag.

Sometimes, it is correct to simply “make up” (coin, in English) a new value for an existing key. Presto! A new tag! (And everybody likely understands it, thanks to its direct simplicity and widespread use, at least in English).

That is why I asked here first, to check, if there is proper way but I just cannot find it.

We ARE allowed “any tag you like,” and speaking personally, I happen to like building=dog_house!

I don’t think anyone would have a problem with you just creating that tag in this case since like Stevea it’s a generally accepted recognized and accepted term for dog shelters.

1 Like

building=dog_house was the first I looked for, but found out it does not exist. It seems obvious.

1 Like

OK, I created building=dog_house. Updated Wiki too.

1 Like

My translators suggest another word: dog kennel. But a kennel is a little bit more than just a small wooden hut for dogs.

A few months ago I chose “building”=“kennel” because of what was said in the forum to be a “more English” word.
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=660277#p660277
Just as a note, I understand we have these three in use?
“building”=“kennel” (in green)
“building”=“dog_house” (in red)
“building”=“doghouse” (in blue)

“kennel” is the British English word for a small wooden building outside for dogs, but it’s also (usually as “kennels”) used for what in OSM we’d call “an animal boarding amenity for dogs”.

British English doesn’t use “dog_house” much, except in this sense, but people will know what it means in American, so (a bit like sidewalk) I can see the logic of using it here. Current taginfo usage for all variants is low, see here, here and here.

3 Likes

Also for those housing hunting and military/police dogs as here and here.

The distinction between the singular and plural here does suggest dog_house is less likely to cause confusion.

1 Like

Don’t you think that this is not quite the right option? Maybe it’s better to use the man_made=dog_house tag (or another value), similar to dovecote?

3 Likes