How to mark a sluice gate?

Can anyone advise me how to mark a sluice gate in a stream or river? Sorry but the nearest I can find is waterway:wier but a sluice gate is different as the weir is adjustable to maintain differing water levels. Any advice would e appreciated. Thanks

I have used waterway=sluice, it doesn’t render but I would consider it correct.

BTW did you get it wrong way round? Sluice is adjustable, weir is not.

Thanks richardwest, I’ll use this.

You’re absolutely right, what a divvy I am tippy-typing too fast and not checking what I wrote! It’s a case of more haste next time.

FollowMeChaps, where are you mapping? I’ve been doing some of the canals I’ve travelled on my hols this year. (UK Midlands.)

Just a question, which part is tagged? A piece of the waterway or a single node?

Wyo

I tagged a node and a line here.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.10807&lon=-2.0709&zoom=17&layers=M

That’s tagged as a lock, do you have a sample of waterway=sluice?

Wyo

Have another look, with the data layer on.

I seem to have done the same as you Richard by tagging a line across the river http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.43393&lon=-2.82706&zoom=16&layers=M

I’m interested that you tagged the lock in your example as a node on the canal rather than a line going across like your sluices.

Robin (FMC)

It was sort of belt and braces with the sluices (and the weirs). The problem is that the river is also done twice, once as the path of the river and again showing the shoreline so the information for the weirs and sluices is needed in two forms depending on which information one uses for the river. In the case of the locks, I have shown them as if the lock is a small section of canal running through land, (Notice the island is one island, not two) therefore the standard representation for locks is all that is needed. My logic for plotting the locks this way is that a lock is part of a canal and cuts through land not water.

I’m quite happy for someone to show me a better way of doing this if there is one. I have only plotted the locks on the river Severn down to Tewksbury and the Avon from Tewksbury to Stratford-on-Avon purely because I was using my EeePC with Tangogps as a SatNav on our recent narrowboat holiday which included these sections.