How to get Attribution information for correct licensing

@emj: But creating something that can only be used with the knowledge, that its illegal, lets peoples also be afraid of using it at all! This is the second part of the story. Its all about freedom, also that one of the users of your data, think about it… I’m not paranoid (well just a little bit), but aware of.

sincerely Dan

Dan - er, thanks awfully, but as I’m currently the OSMF board member with responsibility for licensing, and I wrote the blog posting in question (inter alia), I’m quite aware of those links.

Like I say, this sort of problem is exactly why we’re considering changing the licence. It is impossible to conform to the letter of the current licence - not just difficult, impossible - in a way that will be considered acceptable by everyone. Phrases such as the one I quoted are the best substitute until then.

@Richard: “we’re considering changing the licence” And what is the timescale for that project?

Don’t you think, that it would be a good idea to mention that clearly somewhere, to avoid, that people like me, bother you with question like that?

Sincerely Dan

I thought that was the entire point of http://www.opengeodata.org/?p=262 (one of the links you quoted), but never mind. :slight_smile:

@Richard: Sorry i think there is a little misunderstanding: With “mention that clearly” i didn’t mean, that there is awareness of the problem, i think this is clear enough, i meant you should clearly notice to users of your data, that its:

“Map data licensed CC-BY-SA OpenStreetMap (OpenStreetMap Foundation and contributors)”

is the method of licensing correctly your work until an other solution is found.

And with “And what is the timescale for that project?” i wanted to know if there is now an exact project to move the license with a Date and so… (Sorry for that question, but the post was from January and they ware talking about “that a new revision will be available in the near future.”, so i thought…)

Sincerely Dan

Well everything is more or less illegal, especially wikipedia is all one big collective copyright violation. When trouble comes to Wikipedia I’ll be worried for the customers of OSM.

@emj: :slight_smile:

Indeed :slight_smile: I forgot that.