how to change name of village

Hi every one, i m new user, i found my name of village of open street map wrong spell, how i can do correct.
on map its spell is as Keshopur
www.weatheravenue.com/en/asia/pk/punjab/keshopur-weather.html

but actuall its name is Kasu Pur (Dulhar).

Wikipedia link as under

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasupur_Dulhar

Please help me in this regards,

thanks

I did some searching via the OSM based http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Search_engines

and all places with name “Keshopur” seem to be in India.

I assume that you are referring to this area: http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/388616013

This highway is the only hint for a place with name KasuPur in the whole OSM database.
So there is no extra place node so far.

Where do you derive from, that OSM has a wrong name for that special area?
Is that the one result from “Geonames” service?

Besides of these details, you can get some hints about first own edits via

https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/6/how-do-i-get-started-with-openstreetmap

https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/43398/editing-existing-townvillage-name

https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/2756/how-do-i-change-a-street-name

According to the link the OP provided, this village is in Pakistan, not India: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=32.4357&mlon=72.8358#map=14/32.4357/72.8358.

It doesn’t appear to be misnamed on the map, rather it doesn’t appear to be on the map at all. The OP’s issue appears to be with weatheravenue.com, and they are probably just reporting the the name that was given to them by the operator of the private weather station.

The best way of correcting it, on Weather Avenue, is probably going to be to track down the actual weather station, and point out the error to them. As it looks as though this is rather a small place, simply searching, on the ground, looking for anemometers may be enough.

In any case, in spite of the other local examples, the primary names should be in the language and script in which they appear on road signs, and I would expect that would be either Arabic script or both Arabic and Latin script. In the latter case, you would also need to take into account the policy of the Pakistani OSM mapping community, as to whether there should be both, however looking at other areas, it looks like just Arabic would be correct. In principle, the local community could also override the rule, even though signs were only in Arabic script. name:en can be used to include the Latin version, even though it isn’t really English (everyday Arabic script does not encode short vowels, so the Latin version is more than a mechanical transliteration).

Correcting a village name is not something I would advise a newcomer to do. Even adding a village has enough subtleties, that I wouldn’t advise doing it as anything like a first edit, although the basic principle that any edit that improves the map is acceptable applies. The risks are, breaching copyright, and that people will not check the data entered carefully whereas an experienced mapper would check it at the time that they first mapped it.

I’d therefore suggest that the best option is to add a map note, which you can do on URI quoted above, but not on the weatheravenue copy. On the map note, it is particularly important to explain how someone can verify the information if they actually visit the location. If you have to use any other source, identify that source. Many sources will have to be ignored, e.g. Google Maps always has to be ignored, because there is no, or no adequate, copyright licence, to use the data in OSM. (Wikipedia is not an acceptable source, because its copyright policies are more lax than OSM’s.)

Provide as much relevant information as possible, e.g. where it fits within the administrative structure of the country. If there is information available on the exact boundary, indicate where that can be obtained. Again it needs to have an acceptable licence to actually be used.

You can do this without creating an account, however map notes created anonymously should always be verified by someone actually visiting the site, whereas ones created by users, are more likely to be accepted at face value, if it is clear that the reporter knows what they are doing and is using acceptable sources.

If you really want to map it yourself, you should find the wiki page for Pakistan, to determine local policies. You should look at lots of existing examples, to see how they use is_in, admin_level and place tags, and you should look at he wiki pages for these, to see if there are any specific policies for Pakistan.

Looking at the map data, I see you have tried to map it, but you have done so twice, once as a point <http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3917976899> and once as an area <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/388615222>, and you haven’t given a main tag to either of these, so they are unlikely to appear on any rendered map. You should only have either a point or an area, and if the area information is valid, the area is generally better.

The main tag on the node should be place=*, possibly place=village, or place=hamlet, but the exact rules vary from country to country and depend on the size.

The main tag on the area will depend on whether this is the official boundary for the village for local government purposes, or simply the border of the inhabited area. For the first you should use boundary=administrative, with the correct admin_level tag. For the latter, landuse=residential is likely to be appropriate, but one needs to see it on the ground to be sure. I would not use boundary unless you have got the information from an official source, and you have permission to use it.

You have an addr:city tag which should only be used on individual properties, and should only contain the post town, not the county, state and country.

You have given the primary name in Latin script and included an alternative in Urdu. As noted above, I would be very surprised if the primary name should not have been in Urdu, with the Latin version as name:en.

You’ve got a garbled website tag value, on the area. The whole tag needs removing.

Typically one uses postal_code for larger areas, although I haven’t looked at this in detail outside the UK, which has quite fine grained post codes, and may have multiple ones on one street, often differing from one side to the other.

The county level that appears in the address doesn’t seem to be on the map, but if it was, an is_in tag might be appropriate.

The changeset comments say you are correcting the name, but these appear to be first mappings, and if you are correcting a name, you should not delete and re-add, os the objects should not be at version 1. There is no source given in either the changeset comments, or on the actual features.

You appear to have added, and then removed another area with no main tag, called Govt Primary School, but not mentioned that in the changeset comments.<http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/388612968/history>. If it is a school, it should have had a main tag of amenity=school. Depending on whether you mapped the building or the whole school (e.g. including the school yard), it might also need building=school (if it is just the building). The name appears to be a description, not the actual name. Names should not be used to describe things. Ideally specific tags should be used, but failing that you can use description or note. In an actual name, one should not abbreviate, so I would have expected Government to be spelled out in full. There are other tags you can add to a school to indicate the age range.

Whilst I may appear to have been very critical, that’s mainly because you have jumped in at the deep end. In a country like England, villages would have been mapped very early, but outside of Western Europe, in spite of the widespread availability of the technology needed, it has been difficult to get local people interested in contributing to the map, so I hope that you will continue to contribute. However, it might be better to start at the level where most people start, i.e. mapping individual buildings, and in a place with no residential streets mapped, by mapping and, if appropriate, naming them.

Generally, if you use a name on landuse, it should be because it is different from the place name. That should be on a place or boundary object.

Whether or not the current area is really the landuse=residential area, it would be good to have the latter mapped, even if it has no name, as it will then be visible on the map as a shaded area. Note the village may also include industrial and commercial landuse. If it is predominantly residential, it is OK to map such, more specific, use on top of a large landuse=residential area, but in more complex cases, you need relations, which are definitely not for the newcomer.

According to Bing, the area does not correspond to landuse=residential. It also does not match up with features on the ground, like field boundaries. My guess is that it is arbitrary and it would be better to drop the area entirely, and associate other features with the hamlet/village by adding appropriate is_in tags to those objects, if they are far enough away that they aren’t going to be associated by proxmity.

What would be nice would he to have the following mapped, in approximately decreasing order of importance:

The landuse=residential area.
The school and the mosque (masjid).
All the alleys.
Names for all alleys and roads that actually have them.
Other public buildings.
Any shops.
Public squares, parks and gardens (is this what is meant by the term “Dara” in the wikipedia page?

This represents the level of detail that should be common in Europe or the USA.

Whatever is used by the postal service to identify individual properties on all properties (I’m assuming they use something other than the name of the resident).
Building outlines for all building outlines for all buildings.

This represents that best that is typically seen in Europe and the USA.

Boundaries of all the field in the surrounding farmland, and where fields are grouped into forms, the boundaries of those farms.

If you try to bring your village/hamlet up to Western mapping standards, you may shame people in other local villages to do the same. If they don’t, you should at least map the names and locations of those villages.

I had assumed that Weather Avenue was one of those sites that use data from amateur weather stations and therefore that there would be a physical weather station to find, but it looks like it is cruder than that. They just seem to have list of place names and then try to estimate the weather at that location from unspecified sources in the same region.

At least in relation to Keshupur and Keshopur, that list doesn’t seem to have been taken from OpenStreetMap. Given the small size of the settlement, I’m surprised that it is even present on their list at all, so I suspect that it has been contributed by a member of the public, however, Weather Avenue don’t seem to have any attributions for their geocoding data. If they had been using OpenStreetMap, they should have had such an attribution. (The attribution on the map is just for the map image, not for its use of the underlying data, for searches, etc.).

The only way of fixing the name use on Weather Avenue is going to be to contact Weather Avenue. The contact details are rather well hidden, making me think that they are not particularly interested in receiving corrections, but there appears to be a form at http://www.weatheravenue.com/en/contact.html.

Even for the more established site, Weather Underground, which do including amateur stations, one finds that their closest station to Lahore is actually Amritsar airport in India, and I couuldn’t find any amateur stations in the area. It looks like the nearest actual weather station to the settlement in question is Sarghoda Airport.

Meanwhile, as the OP seems to have gone quiet, I’ve added map notes for the village, and for a misclassified road leading to it.