Hiking Routes & Role Values

In the process of adding some local hiking routes to OSM.

I’m having an issue, however, understanding the Role Values and how to properly apply them. If helpful, I’m attempting to map and tag 2 marked trails at Round Lake State Park in Idaho There are 2 hiking routes, Round Lake Stewardship Trail and Round Lake State Park Trapper’s Trail. Way 1093278224 is, in my understanding, a “connection” Role Value as it is a connecting way between the 2 Hiking Route Relations. Way link: Way: 1093278224 | OpenStreetMap

However, my issue in editing with iD, is that on this particular way, I cannot add the Role Value “connection” to it. If I start typing “connection” in the Hiking Route role box, “connection” does not exist. If I click the drop-down menu, “connection” is not there either. In fact, in the drop-down the only Role Value to choose is “alternative”… “excursion”, “approach”, and “connection” are all not in the drop-down.

Am I doing this incorrectly? Per Roles for recreational route relations - OpenStreetMap Wiki It appears that I should be able to apply a “connection” Role Value to a way, correct? (and that I should apply this Role Value to BOTH Hiking Route Relations).

Any assistance is appreciated.

EDIT: unfortunately new users can only have 2 links in posts, my apologies if unclear due to lack of links.

You can try editing with JOSM

I’ve just added https://master.apis.dev.openstreetmap.org/relation/4304989495 (on the dev server) and was able to add whatever values I liked without problems - just type the value in, and ignore the drop-down box.

… that’s a bit like telling the person asking for directions “I wouldn’t start from here if I were you” :slight_smile:

The relevant JOSM help is. I think, this but personally if I’m validating relations with JOSM (which is quite often) I always hop over to Potlatch 3 to do the actual edit because the editor is a lot more understandable. However, there should be no need these days to leave any particular editor just to perform basic relation management. The exception is features (like validation) that JOSM supports, but other editors don’t.

Will follow the advice to type it in. I realize this can be done, but always had used that drop-down box as a bit of a guide as to whether I am doing things (hopefully) correctly.

JOSM… maybe once I get more comfortable. Probably been at all this for less than a year at this point. Still learning the ropes.