Hide the marker layer to update

Greetings to all:

I need to know how can I hide the marker layer in OpenStreetMaps using a GeoJSON file. This is because many of these markers (eg restaurants, shops, etc.) have not been around for years.

So I can update the map as the information appears.

If a restaurant or shop has “not been around for years” then it shouldn’t be in OpenStreetMap as a restaurant or shop. If a shop is now some other shop, you can edit the map (zoom in and click the “edit” button) and say what is there now.

To answer the other part of your question, there is no separate “marker layer” in OpenStreetMap as such - it’s just a big pile of data. Things that extract from that to create a map that you can see sometimes create layers as they go, but not all do. When you say “the marker layer in OpenStreetMaps” which map or app are you referring to?

1 Like

Greetings and thanks for your prompt response.

I saw the Apple iPhone app and use OpenStreetMap, I want to do something similar. I also want to be part of the OpenStreetMap team and help update the map.

My plan is to have a pinless map for companies to identify their position, then update the OSM.

Another problem is I did a test (renaming correctly an area and adding a pin), and save it, but I did not see the update that I did.

Which one? Lots of iPhone apps use OpenStreetMap data, but there’s no “official” OpenStreetMap iPhone (or Android, or Windows, or whatever) app.

If you can indicate where you updated the map and where you’re seeing the data we might be able to find out how often that app updates its data.

Which one? Lots of iPhone apps use OpenStreetMap data, but there’s no “official” OpenStreetMap iPhone (or Android, or Windows, or whatever) app.

Is the app that comes with the iPhone.

I edit it in https://www.openstreetmap.org/

Address: Casa AlcaldĂ­a de San Juan, San Francisco Street, San Juan, Puerto Rico.

The edition was:
I rename AlcaldĂ­a de San Juan to Casa AlcaldĂ­a de San Juan.
And I put a pin in this area.
These information is correct.

The record of a renaming or otherwise altering the underlying map data is called “changeset”. There is no pinning assocated with changesets.

I have a feeling part of the misunderstanding is due to language issues. Normally i would suggest to yse your native language and let the built-in translator convert it as needed. Though at this point we are very confused by your descriptions of what software you are using. At this please just include it’s name so we have point of reference.

1 Like

Maybe the pins are the markers of existing notes:

1. Activate the layer-Icon (1. in the second group)
  2. Uncheck the first item

There’s no need to set a note if you corrected something on the map. Those notes mean “There’s something to fix.”

Edit:
It’s got to be something else :slight_smile:
I found it: Node History: ‪Casa Alcaldía de San Juan‬ (‪2738523675‬) | OpenStreetMap and it seems to me that the data of your app (BoricuaTour?) may be old. You did rename this node and maybe you wanted to rename the name of the adjacent building Way: ‪Alcaldía de San Juan‬ (‪268181329‬) | OpenStreetMap

Thank you for your repply.

About the Apple app:
The app is the default app that comes with Apple iPhone, is developed by tomtom.

About OSM:
I did the editions in: OpenStreetMap…

using: Edit with iD (in-browser editor).

First, I edit an area, this is the info:
Way: Casa AlcaldĂ­a de San Juan (252692668)
Version #5
BoricuaTour Maps update test.
* Edited about 22 hours ago by rafaelmsa
* Changeset #133366553

Second, I insert a pin and this is the info:
Node: Casa AlcaldĂ­a de San Juan (10716618413)
Version #1
BoricuaTour Maps update test.
* Edited about 22 hours ago by rafaelmsa
* Changeset #133368882

Then, using another browser I went to the map to see the changes, but I did not see the changes.

About my language, my first langue is computer language (php, html, css and java), then Spanish and English. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If I understand correctly, you want to do something like http://umap.openstreetmap.fr ?

There are several different “base maps” you can use (some with more details, some with less details - which seems you want) under your pins (and many different styles of pins, of course).
Then it produces interactive map in any web browser (including mobile ones).

2 Likes

That’s correct! As a map without pins for me to update the old one.