Gulf of Mexico object / Rendering of Large Seas

To add, if you want to view a geoJSON in a superior OSM based viewer, look no further than Mapbox’s geojson.io! The site now accepts URL parameters straight from GitHub, so for this file, you can use something like this:

https://geojson.io/#id=github:dieterdreist/OpenGeographyRegions/blob/master/geojson/geography_10m.geojson&map=2.07/38.91/-77.03

Which would render this (and watch that CPU cook again while it produces the globe view).

2 Likes

Soooooo pretty. While “beasts” (Chesapeake Bay?) allow me to warm my hands a bit, the amount of data here hardly causes my cores to break a sweat. Now that globe (mmmm, sweet) did cost a few calories.

Again, <7MB is quite lean for our whole planet’s worth of these things. Pretty neat, @dieterdreist !

@ElliottPlack, my heart is a-flutter at that pretty globe with his slim-and-trim data, and @Minh_Nguyen , thank you for your very clear explanation. Wow!

Again, <7MB is quite lean for our whole planet’s worth of these things. Pretty neat, @dieterdreist !

this is because there is not so much data yet. It will become bigger when more detail and objects are added. Basically this is currently natural earth data converted to geojson and here and there amended some wikidata references, waiting for contributions :slight_smile:

1 Like