GoPro Max 360 series voor wandelen

Ik heb van onze Vlaamse Vrienden een tijdje een GoPro max te leen gehad, om te kijken of ik wandelroutes zoals het Grenslandpad er zinvol mee in kaart kan brengen.

Mijn ervaringen heb ik in een dokumentje gezet.

Kort samengevat:

• Het is een hoop gedoe om de camera goed te krijgen dat hij ook echt 360 graden rondom zicht heeft;

• Dan nog is het niet fijn in het gebruik, dus er moet echt meerwaarde zijn om het aanvaardbaar te maken;

• Voor het in kaart brengen van wandelpaden (de ways, dus niet routes) in een beperkt gebied vind ik het aanvaardbaar, al mis je bv onderbordjes en kleine wandelaanwijzers;

• Voor gemarkeerde wandelroutes en wandelnetwerken schiet het tekort, omdat je de markeringen en de nummers en letters daarop niet goed kan zien op de beelden. Die zou je dan tegelijk nog met je mobieltje extra kunnen opnemen, maar dan rijst de vraag waarom je niet gewoon alles gratis met je mobieltje zou doen!

1 Like

Thank you for your Insights! I am also thinking of getting a GoPro Max / 360 to make recordings during longer bike rides.

How does it behave with the battery life? How long can you make a time-lapse recording until the battery is running out?
And how is it with the GPS? I have often read that this is really miserable.

I haven’t tried bike mounts, myself, but quite a number of cyclists in Nederland did that a lot. The best results were from -what’s the word- recumbent bikes, with the camera mounted on the bicycle’s bodywork. Some had the camera on the helmet, which results in a larger circle of ground you cannot see. For cycling, this is less important than for walking.
The helmet fix with the gooseneck is not suitable for cycling, I think, the movements and the tilt forces would make that extremely uncomfortable, and I think, unsafe.
The resolution problem (i.e. limited zooming capacity, you can zoom in but it will not reveal more detail) is the biggest issue. Hardly anyone now uses the 360 on the bicycle anymore, in Nederland. Flat photos, at the end of the day, deliver more value at less cost for The Map.

Ah, the gps. I haven’t compared to really good gps devices, but the places I know well were much more accurate than my mobile phone (a very recent Android device).

Battery life: depends on the interval time. On the bike, you will have a higher snap frequency, so more battery usage. I think I had an hour on one battery. I had three full batteries with me, and on a 1.5 hour walk I had to change the battery once. It would help to have an e-bike with a USB-connector (yes, they have that on the high-end models) so you could charge the spares while riding!

1 Like