Garmin maps (for the Netherlands)

Ken_boyce, I have installed the maps of Lambertus a number of times without any problem in combination with MapSource. Did you check the registry of Windows? MapSource is somewhat know for problems with it’s registry usage in Windows. I have broken MapSource a few times by only using it. To me, MapSource seems to be unstable on it self. I don’t think the maps or installation files of Lambertus are the source of all evil.

Personally, I do hope that Lambertus and others continue to offer these files and services for Garmin users. There is a long way to go ( with my GPS :slight_smile: )

Ken_boyce,

I took Mapsource 6.14.1 off my computer. Was impossible to install. logged a complaint with Garmin and they suggested to install 6.14.1 :confused:

Went back to 6.13.7, but had to do that by installing from the CD and upgrade to 6.13.7.

That’s how it is.

Perhaps Mapsource is become more strict in how maps should be installed in the registry with the new version. I will have to do some tests to find out which keys and options for Mkgmap are required.

Greetings from San Francisco. Perhaps I can give you a clue…

I am coming to Amsterdam for a meeting later this month and so I downloaded your maps and found the same problem as reported above in this thread with Mapsource 6.14.1.

It just so happens that I am also going to be in Singapore in November, so I have been trying to get maps for that area. There is a very active group working on Malaysia and Singapore maps for Garmin devices. Before downloading their maps, I carefully upgraded my Mapsource to 6.14.1, and then ran into a very similar problem to what I have just encountered with the Amsterdam map. It turns out that the MalSing gang has figured out how to fix this for their maps. One needs to change the subkey name for the map from hex to decimal. See: http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=102425#p102425

Unfortunately the parallel stops there. With your maps the subkey names do not seem to be hex. The normal one is 11000000 and the cycle one is 12000000. These didn’t look like hex, but I tried anyway (285212672 and 301989888) and it didn’t work.

Anyway, I thought I would tell you about this, because it might help you figure out how to make these maps work with the latest Mapsource.

Success in loading the NL normal maps into MapSource 6.14.1.

Following the approach in the MalSing link that I referred to in my earlier message, use regedit to change the name of the product 11000000 to 42 (as suggested by Liosha above). I also had to delete the key for 12000000 (the cycle version) since I could not figure out its productID.

I do not find 42 in the tsb file and so I don’t know where to look for the productID for the cycle version. I won’t be cycling anyway when I come to AMS, unfortunately…

I didn’t do this before because I misunderstood from the thread that it had been done already by Lambertus.

Anyway this all you need to do to get the normal map to work in 6.14.1

Tom

Mod break: Your question is completely off topic so I moved it to a new topic in Q&A for this, please reply there.

The number 42 used to be the default family id (or product id - it was confusing which was which. So where is it meant go into the TDB file? Or is this just
about the registry?

As far as I can tell, you only need to put 42 into the registry, as I noted in an earlier post. I could not find this number in a text search of the TDB file.

If anyone knows the productID for the cycling version of the NL maps, it would be very useful to me. I can’t now get the cycling version to work, and I am thinking to rent a bike when in Amsterdam. So in the interest of global warming, please post that productID if you know it.

I think I tried to put 42 into the registry for the cycling version and MapSource refused the duplicate.

use any hex-editor and look word at address 0x0003

Thanks, Liosha! I should have thought of that…

The answer is 2A = 42 for the cycle version, identical ProductID as the normal version.

This means you cannot have both installed simultaneously in MapSource.

of course you CAN :slight_smile:

you can change PID in tdb (using hex-editor for tdb version 3 or TDBchanger for version 4)
you also can create new tdb with gmaptool+cgpsmapper

Hi all,

I can’t get the maps to work with QLandkarte. I’ve asked the author of QLandkarte, and he
found a problem with the .tdb file in nl-normal_tinymaps.zip:

There is a section “0x42” to define the basemap, and
multiple sections “0x4C” to define the high detail tiles. The basemap tile
must not be part of the high detail tile list like in this case.

Any chance this can be fixed in your maps?

Thanks,

Jan-Pascal

On Saturday, 1. November 2008 22:48:16 Jan-Pascal van Best wrote:

Hi all,

I’ve been trying to use the Garmin maps generated from OSM data for the
Netherlands from http://garmin.na1400.info/,
especially the tdb+img files in
http://tile.openstreetmap.nl/~lambertus/garmin/nl/normal/nl-normal_tinymaps
.zip

When I start QLandkarte (svn rev 513), choose “import map” and choose
the directory containing the tdb and img files, then select
“11000000.img” as the base map, I get a view showing what looks like the
outlines (rectangles) of the .img files. Nothing in them. Zooming in or
out doesn’t help.

Hi Jan-Pascal,

the *.tdb is broken. There is a section “0x42” to define the basemap, and
multiple sections “0x4C” to define the high detail tiles. The basemap tile
must not be part of the high detail tile list like in this case. Tell the map
maker to fix it.

Oliver

I downloaded the Netherlands map and I have a few suggestions regarding the layout:

• I think natural=wood could better be coloured green instead of horizontal brown lines.
  • Can building=yes areas be included?

I have finally spent some time on updating my scripts to incorporate the changes suggested by Liosha. The TDBChanger tool was very helpful during this process.

• Installed the latest Mkgmap version (r830).
  • Mkgmap now uses a correct product-id parameter (also changed installer script accordingly).
  • Added a ‘series name’ parameter to Mkmgap to show nice map names in MapSource map selector pull-down menu.

The result is:
A) The maps now fully work with the latest MapSource version (6.14.1).
B) You can now install and use multiple OSM maps in MapSource also.

Thanks all for the help, feedback and tests :slight_smile:

PS. I suggest to uninstall any existing OSM map installation before installing the new ones.

With major help from Berteun (who wrote the Python script for translating images to Roadtrip Mac OSX format) there are now also daily updates for Roadtrip users.

Note 1: Sometimes the MapInstall application crashes during installation. If that happens you need to perform the following: Delete ~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/MapInstall/lastSelected.gdb and ~/Library/Preferences/com.garmin.MapInstall.plist. Then restart MapInstall and try again.

Note 2: For some reason the overview map does not reveal the entire map. Zooming in will show the map though.

Hi Lambertus,

Thanks for the cyclemap! I use it on a Garmin CSx60 and it is very nice. It
replaced the commercial NL map on my device.

As a user, I have some suggestions for improvement. Mostly the readability of
roads/cycle paths on the device. Normal roads are almost invisible, so when
riding outside cycle paths I have to look really hard - and often stop. On the
other hand, cycle paths could be more accented - I would love the blue dotted
line, as on the standard OSM display. Likewise footpaths and ‘unpaved’
roads/paths should be visible as such (maybe the red dotted line). Where these
markers are always drawn on top of whatever there is.

I don’t know how doable this is, but it would make the maps a lot more
usable on the road.

Well, you cannot tell the Garmin to draw a red dotted line. You can only tell it to use a certain pre-defined line it knows about, like highway, primary road, etc. So the cyclemap is a map that abuses these pre-defined lines to make cycleways more prominent by pre-processing the data going into the map maker. So a cycleway is pre-processed into a highway and the map making application then just draws a highway on your GPS where the cycleway is.

The only thing I can do to make the maps more readable is to select the best pre-defined line for each type of road and save this into a Mkgmap style file.

OK, I’ll start playing with the tools soon. I am planning a round the Netherlands trip in April. Would be nice to have readable material (it is still usable now).

BTW I mapped our overland trip to Mali in December - the coastal route through Mauretania and passed Nioro to Bamako. It is all on the openstreetmap.org now!

What viewer do you use before rendering on the Garmin? The mapnik viewer?

Pj.

Cool!

I don’t quite understand your question here. But in general I prepare my journeys by looking at some good readable map first, like the slippymap on www.openstreetmap.org. Then I create the route using waypoints in MapSource and load the resulting route to the Garmin device.

Hi Lambertus,

Last week I did 1000 km’s by bike - in a pink Mango - riding from Zoutkamp to
Domburg, adding coastal paths in Zeeland, for one. I read you are near
Apeldoorn. One thing that caught me out (again) is there is no real north-south
cycle path route on the Veluwe. Plowing through sand with a three-wheeler is no
fun ;-).

Your cycle map on the Garmin 60CSx is marvellous!! It is a new way of cycling
and the quality of the experience - mostly riding cycle paths - has gone up. I
am very enthusiastic about these developments and hope other countries will get
up to speed too with cycle path mapping (in particular France appears to be
lagging). At the current rate NL will be complete in a year, I think. I notice
the road tracks now also render on the web site. Nice.

With regard to my earlier question ‘What viewer do you use before rendering on
the Garmin? The mapnik viewer?’ I meant an emulator on the computer for Garmin.
Rather than uploading to the device it may be easier to toy around with ideas
on an emulator. I was wondering if there is some tool that emulates rendering
on a PC for Garmin. But I am probably asking too much.

Pj.