Future improvements in Discourse UI - Sidebar for your content

I know some people have been asking for a better way to only see the content that is relevant for them in these forums, since the list of all categories is not that useful.

I’m excited to see that Discourse is testing a new sidebar (and notifications) panel to provide more granular information and content to users, so you can get a quick glimpse of the categories, tags and content you follow and not be distracted by the rest of the forum.

This is a screenshot of my sidebar on meta.discourse.org

If you are interested in how to improve how content is displayed in these forums, I would recommend to engage upstream on the Discourse Meta forums because sooner or later this would be something that will be available to OSM Forums :slight_smile:

(This doesn’t mean OSM Forums will enable this feature by default when ready, a discussion will need to happen first, but always good to play with it elsewhere in advance)

2 Likes

The sidebar would speed up navigating the forum. Most old forums have something similar baked in.
On mobile it probably would be hidden but big screens looks empty and useless.

It seems the sidebar option, as well as the new notification menu will be available in the next Discourse version (2.9)

We are now using Discourse 3.0 and we have enabled the sidebar a new menu.

Sidebar can be hidden per user and the default categories and tags to display can be configured under your user Preferences → Sidebar

https://community.openstreetmap.org/u/YOURUSERNAME/preferences/sidebar

Is there a possibility to make then new-item column as wide necessary?

I see no setting about it, so better to report it upstream so they can better accommodate: